University of Vermont

Student Employment Office

Frequently Asked Questions About the Federal Work Study Program

Use the [+] to reveal more information.

General Questions

Are There Deadlines Associated with Federal Work Study?


  • October 1 @ 4:30 PM: deadline to accept FWS award and to be hired into first FWS job of the academic year OR to cancel the fall portion of a FWS award while keeping the spring. If canceling the fall portion, however keeping the spring is desired, an email to must be sent by this date and time.
  • February 15 @ 4:30 PM: deadline to accept spring only FWS and to be hired into first spring only FWS job.

What Happens if a Student Doesn't Complete One of the Above by the Deadline?

Due to limited funding for the Federal Work Study program, deadlines cannot be extended, therefore a student's award will be canceled.

What is Off-Campus Work Study?

Off-Campus Partnership Agreements are made with non-profit organizations in the local area that are committed to improving the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs. These services include but are not limited to; fields such as health care, child care, literacy training, public safety, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, community improvement, support to students with disabilities, mentoring, tutoring, supporting educational and recreational activities, and counseling.

Interested organizations can learn more by choosing the menu option “Employers” on the left hand side of the screen and then clicking on the Off-Campus Community Partnerships link.

TRUE/FALSE? There is a maximum rate/hour for work study employment positions.

FALSE. There is no wage maximum /hour, however, employers have the responsibility to keep track of the students award earnings to ensure they schedule accordingly. Any amount beyond the students award will be charged to the employing department.

TRUE/FALSE? FWS Jobs are generally less important than non-FWS Jobs.



Can I Earn Federal Work Study in the Summer?

No. The UVM Federal Work Study Program begins on the first day of fall classes and ends on the last day of spring final exams.

Do I Need a Resume to Apply to a Position?

There is a high chance that you will need a resume to apply for a positon in which you are interested. Many supervisors seek qualified candidates and utilize the information a resume provides in order to begin their search process. We suggest that you create and/or update your resume on a regular basis. The UVM Career Center website provides step by step instructions for building a resume and/or a cover letter. Additional services such as preparing for an interview are also provided by visiting the Career Center Staff.

Does My Federal Work Study Paycheck Go Toward My Tuition?

No, your paycheck is yours and you may do what you want/need to with it. Preparing for and budgeting your earnings is always recommended.

Can I Earn My Spring Allocation in the Fall Semester?

It is strongly recommended that you do not for the following reasons:

  • Too many hours will more than likely reduce time needed for your academics
  • To maintain structure/balance in your weekly schedule
  • To earn consistent wages

Can I Earn Leftover Fall Award Money in the Spring Semester?

Yes. Any award amount remaining at the end of the fall semester will carry over into the spring semester. Students that are awarded for the full academic year may work over winter break and earn any portion of their remaining award.

TRUE/FALSE? As long as a student has been hired into a FWS Job by the deadline, they can be hired into two additional FWS Jobs.


TRUE/FALSE? Students are encouraged not to earn more than half of their full year award in the fall semester.

TRUE. This is due to semester based financial aid packaging and the potential of changes that may and do occur.

TRUE/FALSE? Students awarded fall FWS only are able to work during the winter break

FALSE. FWS earning potential for the fall semester ends on the last day of fall final exams.


How Does an Employer Become Eligible to Employ Work Study Students?

  • On-Campus Supervisors: please click on the menu option “Employers” on the left hand side of the screen and choose the “Register for a SEO Jobs Board Account” to follow next steps.
  • Off-Campus Supervisors: please click on the menu option “Employers” on the left hand side of the screen and choose the “Off-Campus Community Partnerships” link.

Who Determines the Hourly Wage and Pay Ranges?

The State of Vermont determines the minimum wage each year effective January 1. In addition, the Student Employment Office recommends that supervisors utilize the Pay Level Guideline located in the Helpful Documents folder of the SEO Jobs Board to initiate and sustain fair wage practices.

TRUE/FALSE? PeopleSoft terminates a student's record once they've earned their FULL FWS award. Any overage within that pay period will be charged to the employing department.


TRUE/FALSE? If a department would like to continue the student's employment after they've earned their full FWS award, they must hire them into a NON-FWS job through the Student Employment Jobs Board.


TRUE/FALSE? PeopleSoft will place a hold on a student's ability to earn FWS once they've earned half of their full year award.