National Student Employment Week 2017 (April 9th-15th)
"Each year colleges and universities across the country recognize the importance of the student work experience during National Student Employment Week. Student employment offers students career-enhancing opportunities, the ability to develop skills relevant in any career, and better preparation for the job market upon graduation." ~NSEA
NSEW 2017 Events Around Campus:
- Monday April 10, all day: Free lollipops in the hallway of Waterman 2 (across from the Waterman Cafe)!
- Tuesday April 11, 2-4pm: Free coffee and brownies in the Davis Center Atrium!
- Wednesday April 11, 9-11pm: NSEW-themed pub quiz night at Brennan's.
National Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY)
National Student Employment Week is celebrated each year across the country in order to recognize and appreciate the invaluable service of both student employees and student employment professionals.
The National Student Employment Association (NSEA) has declared that the week of April 13th will serve to celebrate those students who work with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative to support their campus with a spectacular workforce.
This year UVM will recognize a Student Employee of the year for their outstanding contributions and achievements. We rely on nominations from supervisors to help us in this search. To be eligible for the award a student must:
- Have worked (or is currently working) during the 2016-2017 academic year
- Work 3hrs/wk or higher
The nominator of the student employee winner will be notified the week of April 6th, and will be asked to keep this a surprise for the student. We will work with you to schedule a time that the student is at work or could come to your department during the week of April 13th. The SEO will present the award to the student there. Inviting as many staff and/or faculty to the celebration is a very special form of recognition to the student, and we highly encourage this.
Recognizing Student Employee Contributions
A primary motivation for most students is the need to help pay for their education. Many students are able to earn a significant portion of their college expenses, thus avoiding the debt burden so common with college graduates today.
At UVM, student employees perform invaluable services with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative. Indeed, most UVM depends on the contributions of this reliable workforce for the efficient operation of the entire campus.
It is appropriate to set aside a special week to draw the awareness of others, both on campus and off, to the contributions student workers make in the multitude of roles they fill.
Ten Ways to Celebrate Student Employees
- Treat your student workers to lunch or coffee.
- Decorate a workspace, office, or bulletin board in a fun way to celebrate student employees.
- Make a "Thank-You" card for a student employee and pass it around for staff to sign it.
- Have a gathering after work with food (ideas: pizza party, or cupcakes) and invite other faculty departments and their student employees to join in.
- Leave random notes of kindness in their workspace, post-its with positive quotes, words of encouragement, or just to say thanks!
- Make a creative thank-you card for your student employees at SEO during Student Employment Week.
- Put up a poster or note outside the workplace expressing appreciation for student workers ("We Love Our Student Employees!").
- Set up a special comment board where students and staff can write or draw notes.
- Give small awards out to student workers at staff meetings.
- Say "thank you" to your student employees!
Last modified March 27 2017 10:37 AM