National Student Employment Week 2014 (April 13th-19th)
"Each year colleges and universities across the country recognize the importance of the student work experience during National Student Employment Week. Student employment offers students career-enhancing opportunities, the ability to develop skills relevant in any career, and better preparation for the job market upon graduation." (NSEA Website)
NSEW 2014 events around campus:
Monday, April 14th: Make a thank you card for your student employee at SEO (9am-12pm)
Tuesday, April 15th: Free Coffee & Brownies in the Davis Center Atrium (12-3pm)
Wednesday, April 16th: NSEW themed pub quiz night at Brennan's (9-11pm)
Thursday, April 17th: Make a thank you card for your student employee at SEO (9am-12pm)
Friday, April 18th: Have your picture taken with your student employee and Rally Cat in the Davis Center Atrium (1:30-3:30pm)
Recognizing Student Employee Contributions
A primary motivation for most students is the need to help pay for their education. Many students are able to earn a significant portion of their college expenses, thus avoiding the debt burden so common with college graduates today.
At UVM, student employees perform invaluable services with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative. Indeed, most UVM depends on the contributions of this reliable workforce for the efficient operation of the entire campus.
It is appropriate to set aside a special week to draw the awareness of others, both on campus and off, to the contributions student workers make in the multitude of roles they fill.
25 Ways to Celebrate Student Employees:
1. Decorate a workspace, office, or bulletin board in a fun way to celebrate student employees.
2. Post pictures and/or mini-bios of student employees on social media or bulletin boards as a way of highlighting and thanking them for their work.
3. Have a gathering after work with food (ideas: pizza party, or cupcakes) and invite other faculty departments and their student employees to join in.
4. Treat your student workers to lunch or coffee.
5. Surprise them with a care-kit of favorite treats before exam time.
6. Leave random notes of kindness in their workspace, post-its with positive quotes, words of encouragement, or just to say thanks!
7. Have a staff meeting over hot chocolate and share some of the positive things that students have done at work.
8. Hold an ice cream social with other departments as a way to celebrate student employees with other faculty and students.
9. Present certificates to students as a way of expressing appreciation (gift certificates to UVM Bookstore, movies, or restaurants downtown)
10. Set up a special comment board where students and staff can write or draw notes.
11. Make a banner or poster celebrating student employees.
12. Bring a camera in to work one day and take photos.
13. An idea for later, print out the photos and make a fun collage, scrapbook, or frame pictures to give to student employees or place in the office.
14. Submit a piece to WRUV.FM, The Cynic, or ad to other UVM/local newsletters recognizing a student worker, or just sharing some words to celebrate student employees.
15. Make a "Thank-You" card for a student employee and pass it around for staff to sign it.
16. Create goodie-bags and give them to student workers.
17. Have a staff dinner at Brennan's or go out to a restaurant downtown.
18. Give small awards out to student workers at staff meetings.
19. Make or draw on a blank T-Shirt, ("Great Student Employee" etc.) and give to a student employee.
20. Leave candy and a small note of "thanks!" for your students at their workspace as a pleasant surprise for when they come in.
21. Set up a fun "grab-bag" of treats or goodies to pass around for student workers to take from.
22. Make a poster or banner of thanks celebrating your student employees and hang it up in the office or workplace.
23. Put up a poster or note outside the workplace (ex: office door) expressing appreciation for student workers ("we love our student employees!").
24. Make a creative thank-you card for your student employees at SEO during Student Employment Week
25. Say "thank you" to your student employees!
National Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY)
National Student Employment Week is celebrated each year across the country in order to recognize and appreciate the invaluable service of both student employees and student employment professionals.
The National Student Employment Association (NSEA) has declared that the week of April 13th will serve to celebrate those students who work with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative to support their campus with a spectacular workforce.
This year UVM will recognize a Student Employee of the year for their outstanding contributions and achievements. We rely on nominations from supervisors to help us in this search. To be eligible for the award a student must:
- Have a GPA of at least a 2.0
- Have worked (or is currently working) during the 2013-2014 academic year
- Work 3hrs/wk or higher
The nominator of the student employee winner will be notified the week of April 6th, and will be asked to keep this a surprise for the student.
We will work with you to schedule a time that the student is at work or could come to your department during the week of April 13th.
The SEO will present the award to the student there. Inviting as many staff and/or faculty to the celebration is a very special form of recognition to the student, and we highly encourage this.
Last modified March 31 2014 12:32 PM