University of Vermont

Student Financial Services

Information for Veterans

In addition to GI Bill Benefits and Yellow Ribbon Scholarships veteran students may be eligible for a variety of need or non-need based federal and institutional financial aid including Grants, Scholarships, Loans and Work Study. We highly encourage you to complete the financial aid application to determine eligibility.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at UVM's federal school code is 003696.
  • To be considered for all available funds, submit the FAFSA after January 1 and before our priority deadlines:
    • FAFSA priority deadline for prospective undergraduate students: February 10.
    • FAFSA priority deadline for returning undergraduate students: March 1.
    • FAFSA priority deadline for new & returning graduate and medical students: March 1.
  • If your 2015 taxes will not be complete before our priority deadline, please complete your FAFSA using estimated income information. Once you complete your federal tax return, go back to to update your FAFSA based on the actual figures using the IRS data retrieval tool.

How do I apply for my GI Bill benefits?

  • The initial step in applying for GI Bill benefits, is to submit an application for benefits online on the GI Bill Web Site.
  • Contact the VA if you have questions about the benefits available and/or your eligibility.
  • When you receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, submit a copy to the UVM Enrollment Certifying Official in the UVM Student Veteran Services Office. The Certifying Official will create a file for you, and will submit enrollment certification to the VA for each enrolled semester.

How do my GI Bill benefits affect my eligibility for other financial aid?

  • Eligibility for Federal Financial Aid (loans and grants) is not affected by receipt of GI Bill benefits.
  • Your UVM need-based aid may need to be reduced to fit your GI Bill benefits if the following are true regarding your financial aid award:
    • You are receiving some form of UVM need-based aid as part of your financial aid package.
    • Your full need (cost of attendance minus expected family contribution) is already being met by UVM and federal need-based aid.

Does UVM participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, as of the 2010-2011 school year, UVM participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The program is limited and scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. For details regarding eligibility and how to apply for a UVM Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, please visit the UVM Yellow Ribbon Application page or the UVM Support for Student Veterans website.

Who should I contact with questions?

  • For information regarding support for student Veterans at UVM, please visit
  • For questions about the application for GI Bill benefits, please contact the VA.
  • For questions about enrollment certification, please contact the UVM Enrollment Certifying Official, in the UVM Student Veteran Services Office, at 802-656-0578.
  • For questions regarding your benefit eligibility, please contact the VA.
  • For questions about how your benefits might affect your other financial aid, please contact Student Financial Services at 802-656-5700.

Last modified January 26 2016 11:08 AM

Talk to us! View our hours223 Waterman Building85 South Prospect StreetBurlington, Vt 05405Phone: (802) 656-5700Fax: (802) 656-4076E-mail:
Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131