Need more information?The UVM Catalogue is the official source for information and requirements for the B.A. in Sociology. Visit the Catalogue.
Please note: The Major requirements changed in Fall 2011.
For students who enrolled at UVM in Fall, 2011 or later, 34 credits consisting of:
- Soc 001
- Stat 051 (or higher)
- Soc 100 (a 4 credit course)
- Soc 101
- Nine additional credits at the 100-level (or above)
- Nine additional credits at the 200-level
- Three additional credits at any level
Go here to download a printable major requirements form.
For students who enrolled at UVM before Fall, 2011, and who have taken Soc 100,
34 credits in sociology consisting of: Soc 001,Soc 100, Soc 101
Nine additional credits at the 200-level
Six additional credits at any level [Stat 051 or higher may substitute for three of these six credits.]
Go here for a printable major requirements form for the old major requirements.
For Sociology Majors only: The Department of Sociology offers an optional twelve credit concentration in Social Gerontology including SOC 020 and SOC 120; either SOC 220 or SOC 222; and at least one course from SOC 154, SOC 254, or SOC 255. Students interested in completing the Social Gerontology concentration are encouraged to consult their faculty advisor early in their program.
200 Level specialization
- Students planning to focus in a particular area of study are strongly encouraged to take an additional 200-level course in that area
- Students planning postgraduate training in sociology or related areas are strongly encouraged to take at least two courses from the advanced Theory/Methods area:
- SOC 274 Qualitative Research Methods
- SOC 275 Meth of Data Anyl in Soc Rsch