Orientation Leaders (OLs) will provide the Class of 2018 and their families with a high-quality and enthusiastic introduction to the University of Vermont!
This introduction highlights UVM’s spirit, mission, curriculum, and co-curricular experience. OLs also introduce and model UVM’s community rights and responsibilities. As such, OLs represent the best of UVM in order to demonstrate what membership in our community is all about.
The OL works collaboratively with a staff of 37 OLs, 2 Student Orientation Coordinators, 5 graduate staff members, the Assistant Director and the Director to produce and facilitate UVM’s student and family orientation programs.
Applications are DUE by Noon on Tuesday, January 28th. Other important dates, including those within the June Program are detailed in the Orientation Leader Application.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 maintained throughout 2013-2014 academic year. If your GPA is lower than 2.5, you must get a letter of support from your college/academic unit. Please call the Orientation Office for more information.
- Ability to attend both spring training sessions and join us full-time with no outside work commitments from May 19th –June 27th. If you have a conflict with any of the dates listed above, please discuss it with us during your individual interview.
- Ability to assume leadership role and responsibility for assigned projects and small groups.
- Ability to maintain a positive and flexible attitude.
- Agreement to expectations, implications, and explanations in this application.
What you'll do:
- Welcome new students and their families to our UVM community and build supportive relationships.
- Assist with their transitional experience by serving as a resource (i.e. leading campus tours, serving on panels, etc.)
- Answer questions about both social and academic expectations
- Promote positive interaction among participants during group discussions, icebreakers, meals, and activities.
- Provide administrative support for the program, including preparation of Orientation materials, bulletin boards, and posters.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
What You'll Learn
- Interpersonal skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Problem solving techniques
- How to see the vision (big picture) among a lot of details
- How to be a team player
- All sorts of fun facts about UVM!
What You'll Get
- A $1,200.00 stipend paid in two installments in June.
- Your own Harris/Millis room from May 19-June 27
- Meals during training periods, sessions & staff events
- Two staff shirts & fun orientation swag novelties!
- Vacation days as appropriate & feasible between sessions
- The opportunity for future OL jobs - work at July transfer sessions, August Orientation, and January Orientation.
Sunday, March 23rd & Sunday, April 13th
The entire Orientation Staff will participate in two training sessions during the spring semester. These sessions are designed to get a jump-start on teambuilding and begin preparations for June Orientation. Given the number of staff involved, we know some OLs may have unavoidable conflicts with training dates. Although we will not be able to grant much flexibility, we will work with you on significant conflicts. Be sure to discuss your schedule with us as soon as you see a conflict.
To apply, download and print the Orientation Leader Application.
The application consists of:
- The standard name/year/college/major/GPA info
- Submitting a current resume
- Submitting an individual photo (no bigger than 4x4)
- Listing two references
- Five open-ended questions
- Presentation (see details below)
Once completed, turn in your application (and photo of yourself) to the front desk in the Department of Student Life on the 3rd Floor of the Davis Center before 4:30pm on Tuesday, January 28th. When you drop off your application we also ask that you sign up for an individual interview and a group interview time.
We're excited to meet you and look forward to crossing paths during the interview process! If you have any further questions about becoming an OL or the application process - please call the orientation office at (802) 656-4136 - or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified November 25 2013 01:49 PM