Subject: Collection (4) Ziti
From: "Fred Towner" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 1999 06:05:24 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Fred's Lasagna
Classic Baked Pasta Casserole
Easy Baked Ziti
Olive Garden Neapolitan Ziti

>From: "Jason Morais" <[email-masked]>
>Can anyone please e-mail me some good recipes for a nice lasagna?  I'm
>actually looking to make a ziti casserole. I tried the other day (couldn't
>contact the person who made it) and it seems like it's simply a lasagna
>recipe with ziti substituted for the lasagna.  Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly what it is you wanted.  I've included my own lasagna
recipe (which doesn't use ziti) along with a number of casserole type
dishes which do use ziti.

Hopefully you will find what you want in there.  If not, let me know more
specifically what you are looking for and I'll see what I can come up
with.

Fred's Lasagna

1 lb ground beef - lean
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 1/2 cup tomatoes - (No. 2 1/2 can)
2 can tomato sauce - (8 oz.)
1 lge onion - diced
1 garlic clove - minced
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary leaves
1 tsp basil leaves - fresh, crushed (or 1/4 Tsp dried)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup mushrooms - sliced
1/2 lb lasagna noodles
1 lb ricotta cheese
1/2 lb Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese - grated

Saute ground beef in hot oil until meat loses its pink color. Add
tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings and mushrooms. Mix well; cook
slowly about 2 hours or until sauce is thickened. Cook noodles
following directions on package; drain, rinse in cold water and
separate. In a buttered 3-quart baking dish make two layers of the
noodles, meat sauce, ricotta, slices of Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan
cheese, in this order, using about half of each for each layer. Bake
in 350 F oven 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 6 to 7.

NOTE: Pepperoni may be added to meat sauce if desired. You may
double the recipe for sauce; use half in making the lasagna, as
above, and serve the remainder, cooked down until quite thick,
in a sauce boat along with the lasagna.

Source: Fred Towner

*

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Classic Baked Pasta Casserole
 Categories: Casseroles, Pasta
      Yield: 15 servings

      1 pkg Creamette mostaccioli, ziti,
           -or rotini uncooked (1 lb)
      1 lb Bulk Italian sausage or lean
           -ground beef, cooked and
           -drained
      2 can Classico di sicilia (ripe
           -olives & mushrooms) or di
           -napoli (tomato & basil)
           -pasta sauce (26 oz)
      4 cup  Shredded mozzarella cheese
           Chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pasta as package directs. In large
bowl, combine pasta, sausage, pasta sauce and 2 cups cheese. Mix
well. Turn into greased 13x9" baking dish; cover. Bake 45 minutes or
until hot and bubbly. Uncover; top with remaining 2 cups cheese and
parsley. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese melts. Refrigerate
leftovers.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Easy Baked Ziti
 Categories: Pasta, Casseroles
      Yield: 6 servings

      1 lb Ground beef
      1 can Tomato paste
      2 cup  Ricotta cheese
      1 lb Ziti
           - cooked & drained
      2 cup  Mozzarella cheese
           - shredded
      1 pkg Spaghetti sauce mix
           - dry, 1 envelope
     16 oz Tomato sauce
      2    Garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup  Parmesan cheese

Brown beef; drain. Add tomato sauce, paste, spaghetti sauce mix, and
garlic. Simmer about 15 minutes. Pour over cooked pasta. Add ricotta
and stir to mix well.

Grease a large casserole dish. Pour half the pasta mixture into
bottom. Top with 1 cup mozzarella. Pour in remaining pasta. Top with
remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for
about 40 minutes.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Olive Garden Neapolitan Ziti
 Categories: Beef, Pasta, Copycat, Main dish
      Yield: 4 servings

  1 1/2 lb Sweet/hot Italian link
           -sausage
  1 1/3 cup  Green bell pepper; 1x1/4"
      2 Tbsp Olive oil
    3/4 lb Ziti pasta; cooked
           Parmesan cheese; grated
           Parsley bouquets
      5 cup  Marinara sauce
     28 oz Canned tomatoes-Italian
           -style or plum
 10 3/4 oz Tomato puree
      1 tsp Garlic; minced
      4 Tbsp Olive oil
    1/2 cup  Fresh basil; packed --
           -chopped
           Salt and pepper

Bake or pan-fry the sausages until fully cooked, drain, cool. Halve
the sausages and cut the split sausages into 1/2" slices. Sauti the
bell peppers in olive oil over moderate heat only until their
crispness is loss, but peppers are not soft. In a heavy sauce pan add
the tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil and fresh basil and
bring to a light simmer on moderate heat. Add the sautied pepper
strips and cooked sausage and heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve the
pasta, topped with the sausage, peppers and salsa Marinara and
garnish each plate with a parsley bouquet. Pass the Parmesan.

Source:  The Olive Garden.

MMMMM

>From the recipe collection of Fred Towner

.... Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Requests/Recipes go to [email-masked];
Questions/Comments to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.