Subject: Yugoslav Fashir
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Apr 1997 13:05:22 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]

Yugoslav Fashir (breaded meat patties)

Another simple, tried and true recipe from my Slovak mother-in-law.   

preheat oven to the shy side of  350F

Begin with one pound of ground pork or a combination of ground beef and
ground pork.  Place in large mixing bowl.

To this bowl add:
  between 1/2 to 3/4 cup of dry bread crumbs
 one  tbsps. of dried parsley (or any Italian type spice)
 one tbsps. of paprika
 salt and pepper to taste.
 one tbsps.of  caraway seed (approx.)
 one to two (raw) eggs. 

Mix well and shape into hamburger sized patties. In a small, separate
bowl, beat one egg lightly. Dip each meat patty into egg, then dip into
separate pile of breadcrumbs, coating both sides. Lightly fry each patty
in oil/lard (both sides) then transfer to a large greased baking dish. 
Place in oven, covered, for approximately an hour and a half. 

A lot of ethnic recipes such as this one do not require that you follow
the exact measurements.  If you wish to add or subtract some of the spices
or their measurements, feel free to do so (although I think the paprika is
rather necessary).  It is the idea of breading the patties, frying them
and baking in a slow oven that gives them that special taste. 

Fashir is most commonly served with a side dish of rice, bread, and home
preserved (canned) peaches

Let me know if you try this dish.
Susan
Cambridge, Ontario.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.