Subject: Cold Yakisoba Salad
From: Beth Wettergreen <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jun 2000 12:45:18 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This is a colorful, delicious summer dish. Sometimes I make make it
late at night, after the kitchen cools down, and cover it with plastic
wrap and thoroughly chill it to serve for the next night's dinner.

Cold Yakisoba Salad

1 whole chicken breast
1 large zucchini
2 med. carrots
4 oz. fresh pea pods
1 8-oz. pkg. fresh oriental noodles (uncooked), found in produce section 
3 eggs
1 Tbsp white sugar
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 (more) Tbsp canola oil dressing:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp white sugar
1/4 cup dry-roasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup finely-minced green onion
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh garlic
fresh cilantro sprigs

Cover chicken breast in water and simmer until cooked through, about
20 minutes. While chicken is cooking, cut off ends of zucchini and
slice lengthwise into long thin spears. Peel carrots and do the same with
them as zucchini. Wash and string pea pods. Thoroughly beat eggs and
sugar together until a light-yellow color. Put 1 Tbsp of the oil in a
10 " skillet or wok; heat oil until medium hot and pour in 1/2
of egg mixture. Cook egg mixture like a crepe, turning to other
side in one whole piece as soon a first side is done. Lay out (do
not fold) "thin sweet omelette " on a plate to cool while you
prepare the second one, using other half of egg mixture. Remove cooked
chicken breast from water--DO NOT DRAIN WATER--and allow to cool on a
plate. Put noodles in simmering chicken water and cook, separating
with chopsticks, for about 2 minutes or until done. Rinse and drain
noodles in cold water. Allow noodles to drain thoroughly while you shred
the chicken into 2 " long pieces (discard skin and bones). 

In same skillet or wok you made omelettes, put 2 more Tbsp canola oil and heat 
to
very high temp. Put noodles in skillet and pan-fry, turning
when one side is beginning to brown and browning the other side. (Add
more oil if necessary.) Arrange pan-fried noodles in the bottom of a
large shallow salad bowl (about 15-20 " in diameter) or on a large
platter. Use a sharp knife to cut the "thin sweet omelettes "
into long, thin (1/2 " wide) strips. Now comes the
artistry! In a cartwheel fashion, alternate all of the zucchini
strips, all of the carrot strips, all of the pea pods, all of the
 "thin sweet omelette " strips, and all of the shredded chicken
to form the spokes of a wheel on top of the noodles. Put salad in
refrigerator to chill, covered with plastic if you are not going to serve
soon. Prepare dressing using all ingredients listed except
cilantro. Use a garlic press to press the juice from the fresh
ginger and garlic into the dressing. Thoroughly blend dressing
ingredients with a wire whisk or shake them in a glass jar.

Just before serving, take yakisoba salad from the refrigerator, shake
dressing and pour over entire salad. Garnish with fresh
cilantro. Serves 4. 

Beth M. Wettergreen Writer
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
University of California, Davis, CA 95616-8790
E-Mail: [email-masked]

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.