Subject: Wiener Schnitzel
From: regina & herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Sep 1997 22:18:54 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Wiener Schnitzel (a 100% Austrian dish) 

The original Wiener Schnitzel is made from calf veal cutlet
(a restaurant must use calf for a 'wiener schnitzel' by law in Austria)
however, many people use pork or turkey
 
veal (cut finger-thick across-fibres)
plain flour
bread crumbs
egg
butter

Prepare 1 plate with flour, 1 plate with forked egg, 1 plate with
breadcrumbs

With the schnitzel hammer flatten out the schnitzels a bit but not too
much.  Put the meat first into the flour and turn around so that it
becomes white-ish, then pull both sides through the egg, at last lay it
into the breadcrumbs which will now easily stick to it.  Fry it in a pan
with plenty of butter.  (Many restaurants just drop it into the deep fryer
but that is not as good as using real butter) 

Serve with a slice of lemon and either rice or some small parsley-potatoes
and lager beer.  Potato salad goes well with it, too especially when
bringing it along cold to a pick nick. 

herb 

[email-masked]

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.