Subject: Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Chard
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 2000 13:04:13 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Chard

2 bunches (12 ounces each) green chard
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 to 4 anchovy fillets, minced
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti

Separate the chard leaves from the ribs and wash them separately in a sink
filled with cold water. Lift out of the water and drain well.
Put the leaves in a large pot with just the water clinging to them. Cover
and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are
wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool, then squeeze gently to
remove excess moisture but do not squeeze dry.
Chop the leaves medium-fine.
Cut the chard ribs into 1/2-inch squares; set aside.
Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and saute over
moderate heat for 1 minute to release its fragrance.
Add the anchovies and pepper flakes and saute, stirring, until well-blended.
Add the chopped chard, season well with salt and stir to coat with
seasonings. Keep warm.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the chard
ribs and spaghetti. Cook until the spaghetti is al dente.
Remove about 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and chard
ribs and return them to the pot.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and toss to coat. Add the chard and toss
again, adding a little hot water if needed to moisten the pasta.
Serve immediately on warm plates.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.