Subject: West Indian Rice & Peas
From: "Strawberry Girl" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1999 22:32:21 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I'm not sure that this is exactly what you want, but it sure is yummy.

West Indian Rice & Peas

Source: adapted from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

2 cups uncooked brown rice (I use white with success, it's just not as 
nutritious)
1/2 cup unsweetened grated coconut
2 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 cups water
1/2 stick cinnamon (I use a whole one as I really like the flavour of cinnamon)
1 cup dried pigeon peas, soaked at least 5 hours
3 bay leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2-1 small chile, sliced (or 1/4 tsp. cayenne) (or to taste)
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
generous pinch of ground fennel seeds
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 scallions, chopped

Saute the rice and coconut in the 2 1/2 tbsp. of oil for 2-3 minutes, stirring 
constantly.  Add the water and cinnamon stick.  Cover the pot and bring it to a 
rapid boil.  Don't lift the lid to see if the water is boiling.  Just notice 
when steam begins to escape.  Traditionally, the lid is never lifted while 
cooking rice.  When steam escapes, reduce the heat and simmer about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the peas with the bay leaves in salted, boiling water until 
tender.  The cooking time will vary with different peas.  When peas are done, 
drain them and remove the bay leaves.  Keep them warm until the rice is ready.
While the rice and peas are cooking, saute the onion and garlic with the =BC cup
oil in a cast-iron skillet for a few minutes, until the onions soften.  Stir in 
the chile or cayenne and the bell pepper and continue to saute for a couple of 
minutes.  Add the fennel, salt, and pepper and lower the heat.  Cook, covered, 
for a few more minutes.
Combine everything, mixing together well.  Adjust the seasonings and serve hot, 
topped with the chopped scallions.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.