Subject: Vitello Tonnato
From: "amanda" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1997 17:13:42 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This recipe comes from John Carver, executive chef, Pricci Restaurant 
in Atlanta, GA. - 13 March 1993 by Lon Hall

VITELLO TONNATO
(Cold Roasted Veal With Spicy Tuna and Caper Sauce)

2 pounds veal top round, cleaned of all sinew
Salt, pepper
1 bay leaf, crushed
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons oil
3 small carrots, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3/4 cup chicken stock
Tuna Sauce (recipe follows)
Capers
Lemon slices

Season veal to taste with salt and pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Heat oil 
in roasting pan over high heat. Add veal and brown evenly on all 
sides.

Add carrots, onion and celery and roast at 350 degrees until meat 
tests rare and reaches internal temperature of 140 degrees. Remove 
meat to serving plate. Reserve vegetables for use in Tuna Sauce. Place 
pan back on burner over high heat. Add chicken stock and cook, 
scraping meat bits, until stock reduced by half. Pour over meat and 
vegetables and set aside to cool.

When ready to serve, slice veal very thin and place on chilled plates. 
Spoon Tuna Sauce lightly around edges of meet. Do not cover meat 
with sauce. Garnish with capers and lemon slices. Makes 8 servings.

Tuna Sauce

1/2 (3-ounce) can tuna
1 egg
3 anchovy fillets
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon capers
Reserved vegetables and cooking juices from veal roast
3/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons chicken stock
Salt, pepper

Place tuna, egg, anchovies, lemon juice, vinegar and capers in 
blender, plus reserved vegetables and any juices from bottom of plate. 
Puree until smooth.

With blender running at low speed, slowly add olive oil. Adjust 
thickness with chicken stock if too thick, add more oil if too thin. 
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.