Subject: Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
From: "Robin Nguyen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Apr 1997 07:18:52 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

> From: [email-masked] (Robert Malo)
> Does someone have a good recipe of Vietnamese Chicken Rice Noodles soup?

This is my quick and easy way to prepare this dish.
You can find all of the seasonings, toppings and rice noodles 
in most Asian groceries. 

Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

1 whole Chicken (about 3 lbs. with or without skin)
1 large onion
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
3 aniseed (star shaped pods)
1/2 teaspoon of whole black pepper
1 stick of cinnamon (about 3" long)
1 small piece of ginger (size of a teaspoon, smashed once lightly)
2 cans chicken stock
salt to taste
1 tablespoon of sugar
Oriental rice noodles 
Vietnamese fish sauce to taste

toppings:
1/4 large onion, thinly sliced 
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped parsley (not Italian parsley)
1/2 cup chopped basil leaves 
2 cups bean sprouts 
1 large lime
dash of pepper
freshly sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)
chili paste (optional)

Clean and put chicken in a large stock pot and add water to cover the
whole chicken.  Bring to a boil removing scums at top. Add whole onion,
carrots and celery and continue cooking for 1 hour at medium heat until
chicken is fully cooked.  Pour stock through strainer and remove breast
meat and any other part of the chicken you would like at this time.  Place
coriander seeds, whole black pepper and anise seeds in a teaball or a
seasoning bag and drop it into the strained chicken stock. Add
cinnamon stick, piece of ginger, and 2 cans of chicken stock and cook for
about 20 minutes more.  Remove flavor pack, cinnamon stick, and ginger.
Add sugar, salt and/or fish sauce to taste.  When serving, bring pot to a
boil. 

Cook the rice noodle as you would of pasta. Quickly rinse with hot water
to remove starch when it is done. Place about a cup of it in a deep bowl,
Layer with some cooked chicken and add a teaspoon of scallions and
parsley, each. Add a couple of slices of onion on top of that.  Ladle
enough broth to fully cover the toppings. 
 
Toppings:
Add basil leaves, bean sprout, chili peppers (optional), 
a squeeze of lime and a dash of black pepper when ready to eat.

Note:  I apologize for the vague fluid measurements. 
       The soup usually tastes better if made a day in 
       advance although, the overly cooked chicken may not 
       taste so good overnight... I usually cook a fresh batch
       of chicken breast to serve with the soup on the second day.

ENJOY!
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.
Path: swen.emba.uvm.edu!cam-news-feed2.bbnplanet.com!cam-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!cpk-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.bbnplanet.com!howland.erols.net!news-peer.sprintlink.net!news.sprintlink.net!sprint!uunet!in3.uu.net!198.59.162.1!news.rt66.com!news.rt66.com!not-for-mail
From: [email-masked] (We2Miles)
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
Followup-To: rec.food.cooking
Date: 28 Apr 1997 06:36:56 -0600
Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com
Lines: 79
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: world
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (We2Miles)
NNTP-Posting-Host: mack.rt66.com

Regarding request for Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

I've become such a Pho fan ('scuse the alliteration) that I've learned to
make a rip-off version at home with my favorite components.  I prefer beef
over chicken, but you could probably just make the appropriate
substitutions to arrive at something you like...

Soup Base
2 cans beef stock, more desirable - equivalent homemade stock
small cut of ribeye steak, sliced thinly
1 package rice noodles (I usually use less than one package because I
prefer veggies over noodles)

Condiments
green onions, julienne style
bean sprouts
lime wedges
chopped cilantro
Chinese Chili Paste or equally insane heat ingredient
Anaheim chili, sliced thinly

Method
Heat the stock to boiling, add the meat and boil until meat is cooked
through.  Add rice noodles and cook for a few more minutes.  Serve in a
huge bowl with condiments on a separate plate.  Add the amount and type of
condiments that you prefer and enjoy!

NOTE:  have tissues handy - this will ream your sinuses out!  Very healthy
for people with allergies and/or upper respiratory problems.

NOTE2:  when slicing Anaheim chili (as with all fresh chilis), wear
protective gloves and be careful not to touch unprotected skin with your
gloved.  The oils present in fresh chilis can burn and irritate your skin,
particularly mucous membranes in the nose and/or eyes.

NOTE3:  this make a fabulous meal when paired with salad rolls.  A recipe
follows:

Vietnamese Salad Rolls

Salad Roll Wrappers (must be purchased in Asian markets or specialty
stores.  They are packaged about 100 to the package, but don't worry -
they last forever if protected from moisture.)

Rice Noodles
Bean Sprouts
fresh Cilantro and/or mint (an ageless controversy -which is best?  you
decide)
green onions, julienned
carrots, julienned
celery, julienned
*red pepper, julienned (optional)
*Anaheim chili, julienned (optional)
cooked meat, julienned (can include Chinese style roast pork, leftover
cooked chicken, bay shrimp, cooked pork loin, or any combination thereof)

Purchased Peanut Sauce (Taste of Thai makes a good one, but it has to be
mixed with Coconut Milk, which drives up the calories.  Look for a mix
that can be mixed with water, add a little chili paste or "Dave's Insane
Sauce" for piquancy, and use for a dipping sauce for the Salad Rolls

Take a dinner plant and put hot tap water on it.  Take a Wrapper and wet
it, making sure that every part gets wet.  Transfer to another clean plate
and place filling items on top.  Wrap it like a burrito, closed at both
ends:  flip one end over the filling.  Fold in the perpendicular ends to
close in the filling.  Roll in direction of first fold until you reach the
end of the wrapper.  The gluten in the wrapper will self-seal it.  Set
aside and repeat until your filling ingredients are gone, or you've
reached the limit of what can be eaten at that meal.  These do not keep
well - don't try to refrigerate or freeze them - it's a disaster.  

Salad Rolls make a great meal with a pot of Hot and Sour soup as an
accompaniment, or a big bowl of Pho (Noodle Soup) and some peanut sauce.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.