Subject: Vermont Chicken Pie
From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Feb 1996 21:00:18 -0000
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

2 cut-up broiler/fryers
1 large onion,quartered
4 carrots, scraped and cut into pieces
2-3 cups water
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp marjoram
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 10-oz pkg forxen peas [*]
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup cream

[* I assume this is a typo for "frozen" peas not an esoteric American
brand name! - Sal-the-British-moderator]

pastry:

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1/2 -3/4 cup cold water

Put chicken into pot with onion and carrots.  Add water to cover,
rosemary,thyme,marjoram, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.   Bring to 
boil and simmer, covered, for about 45 minuts or until chicken is 
cooked.  Drain chicken and reserve broth.  Remove bones and skin from 
chicken pieces and cut meat into bite-sized chunks.  Return chicken 
to vegetables and add frozen peas.  Remove 1 1/2 cups broth from pot.
Melt butter in saucepan and blend in flour.  Gradually add hot broth
and cream, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.  Add
remaining 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Pour sauce over chicken
and vegetables; add more broth if necessary.

pastry:
Cut shortening into flour mixed with salt.  Add water.  Mix well to 
form ball.  Roll out top and bottom crusts.  Place bottom crust in 9" 
deep-dish pie plate.  Pour in chicken mixture and cover with top 
crust.  Brush with milk.  Pierce three small holes in top crust to 
let steam escape and put ring of foil around edge to prevent 
over-browning.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until
brown, removing tin foil after about 10 minutes.
Serves 6-8

Jean-Marie Ostiguy
[email-masked]

--
Rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup; only recipes are accepted for
posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" file first.  Articles go to
[email-masked]; administrative questions to [email-masked].
Please allow two to five days for your submission to appear.