Subject: Vegetarian Rice Pilaf
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Feb 2000 19:00:09 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Vegetarian Rice Pilaf

1 medium onion, chopped
oil for sauteeing
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup thin spaghetti, broken into 1" pieces
2-1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water plus 2-1/2 teaspoons broth powder)

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion and stir-fry until
transparent. Add the rice and spaghetti pieces, stir-frying until the
spaghetti is lightly browned. Pour in the broth (or water and broth powder)
and stir once or twice. Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a
simmer. Cook, covered, for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
Stir once to fluff, and serve.

Variations:
> For a main course, stir leftover tofu or seitan and vegetables into the
cooked pilaf. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let it rest at stovetop
for about five minutes or until the leftovers are warmed.
> Although basmati is a whole food, you may prefer to use brown rice. If so,
increase cooking time to about 45 minutes.
> Try using whole wheat spaghetti, orzo, or vegetable alphabets in place of
the regular spaghetti.
Makes 4 servings.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.