Subject: Vegetable Lo Mein
From: Kevin Kirkland <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1999 13:48:51 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Vegetable Lo Mein

one package of lo mein noodles (I use linguine-it works just as well) 
10-12 mushrooms (sliced) 
1 medium onion (cut into slices) 
1 small zucchini (sliced) 
1 package of firm tofu 
(you can add any other vegetable you want-broccoli, pepper, etc.) 
1 tsp to 1 tbsp of ground ginger 
a few tbsp of low sodium soy sauce 
1 tbsp of corn starch 
a few tsps of garlic powder 

Cut up all vegetables. Start the water boiling for the lo mein noodles.
As it comes to a boil, add in a dash of soy sauce and some ginger powder
to the water; it adds a lot of flavor to the noodles. Add noodles to
water. In a wok or a big pan add a few tbsp of water. You can add oil,
but it works just as well without it. Add the ginger powder and the
garlic to the water. Add tofu and cook until firm. Remove from pan. Add 
a little more water and then start to add veg. Put onions in first and
sweat them. Then add the other veg. If you use zucchini, you might want
to wait until everything is almost done before adding them, otherwise
they might over cook. Put on low heat and cover to steam the veg. (push
all of the veg. to the side of the pan, leaving a space in the middle   
they steam better this way). When the noodles are almost done take a
tbsp of the liquid in the pan and add it to a tbsp of corn starch in a
separate dish. Mix well and then return it to the pan and mix. Add the
tofu back into the pan after you have added the starch mixture. Drain
the noodles and then add to the pan and toss well. You can add more soy
sauce before serving if you want. 

Serves: 4-6 
Preparation time: 30 mins.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.