Subject: Veal with Anchovies and Tuna - Italian
From: [email-masked] (LeiG)
Date: 1 Jul 1997 04:21:41 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I made this yesterday, it needs 48 hours but I could not wait. Its good cold
which I think is the way it is intended to be eaten, But it is also good
warmed up.

VEAL WITH ANCHOVIES AND TUNA (Vitello con acciughe e tonnato) Italy
source:The Home Book of Italian cooking
serves 6

2 1/2 lbs. lean veal ,in 1 piece
4 large salted anchovies or  8 strips flat ,canned
1 teaspoon salt
1 small onion
2 medium sized carrots
1 celery stalk with leaves,halved
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 1/2 oz canned tuna in oil
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon capers (optional)

   Wash anchovies in cold water, remove head, tail and backbones, and cut
into 8 strips. (Or use flat ones canned and go onto next step) Place 4
anchovy strips on inner side of meat, roll up like jelly roll, and tie with
string. Fill a large kettle with water, add salt, onion, carrots, celery, bay
leaf and pepper. Bring to a boil and add veal. Simmer covered until meat is
tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Skim surface during cooking. Remove cooked meat
from broth and drain. Strain broth. Slice meat thin, and place slices close
together in an earthenware casserole large enough to hold meat and sauce.
Cover casserole and set in refrigerator for 2 days. Serve veal with the
following sauce.
Pound together in a mortar the remaining 4 strips of anchovies, and the tuna
fish. Add oil, lemon juice, and capers. Blend well. Pour over veal.
Note: This dish has a tangy and unusual taste. It will keep almost a week if
refrigerated.

     [email-masked](Lei Gui, Bronx, NY)
  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/3658  
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.