Subject: Veal Oskar
From: [email-masked] (Joel Ehrlich)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 22:13:51 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Responding to: Brian and Faythe <[email-masked]>

 BF> I was wondering if anyone out there possible had a recipe for
 BF> Veal Oscar.  I have a friend who would be extremely happy if I found
 BF> one for her, since she has been unable to locate one in a lot of
 BF> cookbooks she has searched in.  If you have one, please email it to
 BF> me in addition to posting here.  Thanks in advance

There are many ways of making this dish. In general they all work about
like this:

 Veal Oskar    No. 2232                                 Yields 4 Servings

     4           Veal Cutlets, Cut 1/2"                 Crabmeat, Carefully
                 Thick                                  Picked Over
     4 Tbls      Butter                       -         Buttered Asparagus
     1 tsp       Salt                                   Tips
   1/8 tsp       Pepper                       -         Bearnaise Sauce
   1/3 Cup       Dry White Wine
   1/2 Lb        Lump or Backfin

Brown the cutlets, several at a time, in butter in a large, heavy skillet over
moderately high heat (5-10 minutes).
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add the wine.
Cover.
Simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
Saute the crabmeat in a separate skillet with more butter for 3 to 4 minutes.
Arrange the veal on a platter.
Spoon crabmeat over each cutlet.
Pour the veal cooking liquid into the skillet in which the crabmeat was
cooked.
Boil rapidly, uncovered, to reduce to  1/4  cup (for 4 servings, adjust as
needed).
Pour over the crabmeat.
Top each portion with several asparagus tips, arranging more asparagus tips
around the platter.
Drizzle Bearnaise Sauce over.
Serve additional Bearnaise sauce alongside.

Joel

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which is
now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked];
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.