Subject: Twice Baked Potatoes
From: [email-masked] (Diane M. Ferrell)
Date: 5 Dec 1996 06:40:16 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Here is a family favorite.  My mom made this and now all my children and 
grandchildren love it.

Twice Baked Potatoes

4 large potatoes (either red or white or whatever you
  particularly like for a baking potato) 
Salt and pepper to taste
Canned milk - any kind (evaporated or condensed) except sweet condensed
3/4 stick butter
4 pats of butter
Paprika to taste
2 slices of American cheese or any yellow cheese that will melt

Bake the potatoes in a hot oven (about 400 degrees) until tender when 
pierced--about 1 hour.  Do not wrap the potatoes as you want the skin to
be really cooked--crispy and thick.

When done, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the
insides and placing them in a mixing bowl--leave the shells intact and set
aside.  Add the butter to the potato in the bowl, the salt, pepper, and
just about 1/2 cup of the canned milk.  Whip on high until very creamy and
no lumps adding more milk as necessary. 

Spoon the whipped potatoes back into the shells.  Cut the slices of cheese
into strips about 1/2" wide by 2" long.  If you are using a bulk piece of
cheese, the strip should be about 1/8" thick.  Criss-cross two strips on
each potato half, place the pat of butter in the middle, and sprinkle the
potato with paprika. 

Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and set under the broiler.  Set the
broiler on about 450 degrees F. and cook the potatoes until the cheese
melts and there is just a slight golden crust on the potatoes. 

Serves 6-8

Enjoy.

--
Diane M. Ferrell
University of Colorado, the Springs
[email-masked]

===
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked]. 
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.