Subject: Collection (5) Dishes with Truffles
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:31:42 EST
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

VEAL ORLOFF
SALTIMBOCCA ALLA ROMANO
EGGS, CHEESE AND TRUFFLES
LOBSTER TETRAZZINI
BEEF TENDERLOIN WELLINGTON

VEAL ORLOFF

1/2 rack of veal
6 oz. Soubise sauce
2 oz. mushrooms
2 Tbsp. truffles
2 oz. Prosciutto ham
1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 sprig parsley

Trim excess fat from 1/2 veal short loin with bone.
Salt and pepper rack of veal and roast at 350 degrees for one hour.
Remove the eye of veal from the rack, saving the rack bones
intact. While the veal is cooking, bring 1/2 quart of milk to
boil. Saute 1 pound of onion, diced fine, in 6 ounces clar- 
ified butter. When onions are translucent (cooked until very
soft) add enough flour to absorb all butter. Cook over low
heat for 10 minutes, taking care not to burn or color flour.
Add hot milk to onion flour mix and whip until thick. Slice
1/2 pound of Prosciutto ham in small julienne slices 2-inches
long. Dice 1 pound mushrooms very fine. Saute mushrooms in 4
ounce clarified butter. When cooked, drain excess liquid. Add
julienne of Prosciutto to mushrooms and cook briefly. Add
Madeira wine and chopped truffles. Add mushrooms, ham, truffle
mix to the onion and milk sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt
and white pepper. If mix is too loose, tighten with crushed
Ritz crackers.
Place empty rack (bones) on platter. Put a generous
amount of stuffing on bottom of rack. Slice the eye of veal in
6 to 8 slices. Place the slices, one at a time on top of
stuffing. Between each slice put stuffing and shingle the
slices of veal. When complete, add more stuffing on top and
sides. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and chopped truffles on top,
and bake in a 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes, or until stuffing is
bubbling. Serve with Perigodine sauce, which is a standard
brown sauce with Madeira wine and truffles.

SALTIMBOCCA ALLA ROMANO

1 lb. very thin veal steak
2 truffles, cut into 8 slices
(optional)
4 thin slices Prosciutto
butter or margarine
freshly ground pepper
pinch of powdered sage
snipped parsley
flour
olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine

Have butcher flatten veal to 1/8-inch thickness, then
cut into 8 slices. For each saltimbocca, top one piece of veal
with 2 slices truffles, a lice of Prosciutto, 1 teaspoon melted
butter, a pinch of pepper and sage and 1 teaspoon snipped
parsley. Top with a second piece of veal, then pinch edges
together (or serve with picks). Then dip pieces in flour to
lightly coat both sides. Repeat with other veal slices. In a
large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
In it, saute saltimbocca until lightly
brown on both sides, then pour in wine and simmer, covered, for
5 minutes until veal is tender. Spoon sauce over meat.
Truffles are optional.

EGGS, CHEESE AND TRUFFLES

8 eggs
2 oz. Fontina cheese, cut in
small pieces
dash of salt
1 truffle, very thinly sliced
4 Tbsp. butter
grated nutmeg

Melt the butter in a large skillet and set over low
heat. Add the cheese and let it melt. Add the slices of
truffle and mix well. Break the eggs onto the cheese and
truffles and season with salt and pinch of nutmeg. Let the
eggs set 5 minutes. Serves 4.

LOBSTER TETRAZZINI

4 lb. lobster meat
coral from lobster
2 cup reduced lobster water
1/2 lb. mushrooms
3 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. butter
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp. sherry
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup diced truffles
1/2 lb. cooked spaghetti

Cut the meat from 4 pounds boiled lobster into strips,
reserving any coral. Simmer the water the lobster was cooked
in until it is reduced to 2 cups and reserve it. Saute 1/2
pounds mushrooms thinly sliced in 3 tablespoons butter until
they are soft and lightly browned and reserve them. In a
saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in 2 tablespoons flour
and cook (the roux), stirring for a few minutes. Add the
lobster coral and stir in gradually the reserved cooking
liquid. Cook the sauce, stirring, until it is smooth and
thick. Then stir in 1 cup heavy cream and 3 tablespoons of
sherry. Add a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes. Add the lobster meat, the
mushrooms and 1/2 cup diced truffles. Arrange 1/2 pound hot
cooked spaghetti in coils on platter. Make a well in center of
the spaghetti and pour in the lobster sauce.

BEEF TENDERLOIN WELLINGTON

5 lb. whole beef tenderloin,
trimmed, peeled
8 oz. liver pate
2 oz. truffle peel, chopped
egg wash to brush
salad oil for pan

Dough:
24 oz. bread flour
1/2 tsp. salt
6 oz. butter
6 oz. shortening
3 egg yolks
1/2 oz. olive oil
6 to 8 oz. cold water

Sift flour; fold remaining ingredients into flour as for
pie dough. Blend lightly. Cover dough with cloth and let
stand 1 hour. Sear tenderloin well, leaving center almost raw.
Cool. Spread with liver pate. Sprinkle with chopped truffles.
Roll out dough 3/16-inch thick. Wrap dough around tenderloin,
keep seam on bottom and fold ends under. Brush surface with
egg wash. Place on oiled baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 40
minutes or until dough is done. If cooking too fast, cover
with foil. Cut in slices about 3/4-inch thick. Serve with
Madeira sauce. Makes 8 portions.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.