Subject: Tomato & Lentil Soup
From: Kate L Pugh <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 2000 02:28:12 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

"Michele Colombo" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Request lentil soup non-package recipe please.

Tomato & Lentil Soup

It's lovely and smooth, and freezes well. You can use different herbs
in this if you prefer, such as perhaps basil and oregano.

Serves 3-4

1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp stock powder
2 cloves garlic, chopped
75g (3 oz) split red lentils
1 medium carrot (75g, 3 oz), peeled and grated
1 400g (15 oz) can chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
salt and black pepper
pinch each of dried thyme and dill, or other herbs

Saute the onion in stock made with the stock powder until browned,
then add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the red lentils with
750 ml (30 fl oz, 3 3/4 cups) water and bring to the boil. Simmer
briskly for 15-20 minutes, adding more hot water as needed, until the
lentils have begun to break up. Add the carrots, tomatoes and bay
leaf. Season with salt and black pepper, cover and simmer for at least
30 minutes.

Remove bayleaf and puree (if you don't like tomato seeds, now would be
the time to sieve the soup to remove them). Add the herbs, adjust the
seasoning, reheat if necessary and serve.
-- 
An original recipe from <URL:http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~kake/cookery/>.
Vegan recipes, articles and more 
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.