Subject: [THAI] Neua Pad Prik (Pepper Steak)
From: "Colonel I. F. K. Philpott" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 1996 17:05:41 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Neua Pad Prik (Pepper Steak)

In essence, this is a Thai version of the popular western dish "pepper
steak," but prepared in a typically Thai way.

If you can't get the Thai sweet chilies (prik yuet), then substitute
bell peppers.  If you can't find Maggi seasoning sauce, use mushroom
soy or dark soy.

Ingredients:

1 pound steak

8 cloves of kratiem (garlic), whole
1/4 cup hom daeng (shallots), sliced
1/4 cup prik yuet (sweet green chilies), sliced
1/4 cup prik yuet daeng (sweet red chilies), sliced
3 tablespoons nam pla (fish sauce)
1 tablespoon Maggi seasoning
2 tablespoons nam tan paep (palm sugar)
1 tablespoon priktahi khiaowan (green peppercorns)
1 tablespoon sesame oil

Marinade:

2 tablespoons nam pla
1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
1/2 teaspoon prikthai (freshly ground black pepper)

Method:

Cut the steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips (this may
be easier if you chill the steak in the freezer first).  Mix the marinade
ingredients, combine with the steak, and leave for about an hour.

In a wok or skillet over medium high heat, combine the sesame oil with
two tablespoons of peanut oil and then stir fry the garlic and peppercorns
until it is aromatic and the garlic turns slightly crisp.

Add the beef, onions and sweet chilies, and stir fry for 2-3 minutes
(until the beef begins to show signs of being cooked).  Add the remaining
ingredients, and increase the heat to high, and stir fry until the beef
is cooked to your taste.

Serve over steamed white rice and if desired garnish with a fried egg.

Colonel I.F. Khuntilanont-Philpott
(mail to: [email-masked])
Systems & Networks Engineering
Vongchavalitkul University

===
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked]. 
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.