Subject: [THAI] Hot Meatballs
From: "Colonel I. F. K. Philpott" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1996 20:00:36 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Yesterday was our regular chili-chopping day: four of us sat around a
table slicing chilies - 10 kilograms of red prik ki nu, 10 kilograms of
green, and 10 of mild prik chi fa, ready for bottling in marinade ready
for the table.  While we were doing this, we did what any group in
Thailand seems to do to pass the time - eat! and amongst the usual run
of som tam, kuaitiao, and other light dishes, were several plates of the
spicy meatballs described below.

Hot Meatballs

Ingredients:

Tempura-style batter

1 egg yolk
1 cup cold water (preferably ice cold)
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon prik pon (freshly ground dried chili)
1 teaspoon mustard powder

Meatballs

6 tablespoons ground pork
2 tablespoons chopped onions
1 tablespoon chopped prik ki nu (birdseye or dynamite chilies)
1 tablespoon freshly grated root ginger

10 prik ki nu daeng (red chilies), with the stalks attached.

Method:

Mix the egg yolk and water, then stir the flour to break up any lumps,
and then dump the flour in the water and egg and stir to combine: it
should be slightly lumpy and floury-looking in appearance.  Add and
combine the chili powder and mustard.

Mix the ingredients for the meatballs, and make 10 meatballs.  Into each
insert a chili so that just the stalk protrudes, then dust them with
flour, coat with batter, and deep fry in medium hot vegetable oil until
the batter is a golden brown (about 3 minutes).

Drain the excess oil and serve. 

May be eaten hot or cold.  The protruding stalk makes a convenient method
of picking them up and eating them without touching your lips with your
fingers when you are chopping chilies.

-- 
Colonel Ian F. Khuntilanont-Philpott
<[email-masked]>
Systems Engineering, Vongchavalitkul University,
Korat 30000, Thailand

===
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked]. 
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.