Subject: [THAI] Kai Tam (Simple Chicken Soup)
From: "Colonel I. F. K. Philpott" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 1996 18:58:25 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Description:

This is the chicken soup my wife calls "mothers all-purpose sickness
cure."  I guess mothers the world over are the same and figure that
sending a sick child to bed with a bowl of chicken soup cures most
things - well at least it cures "plumbum pendulensis academica" (being
sick of school).

It is made with a small chicken.  Alternatively you could make it from a
couple of chicken legs and a couple of drumsticks.

Ingredients:

1 small chicken (about 2 pounds)
4 cups stock
1 cup sapparot (pineapple), cut into chunks
1 cup phak thong (pumpkin), cut into chunks
3 tablespoons hom daeng (shallots), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons nam manao (lime juice)
2 tablespoons nam makham piag (tamarind juice)
1 tablespoon prik ki nu daeng haeng (dried red chilies), crumbled
1 tablespoon kratiem (garlic), crushed

Method:

Prepare the chicken: wash it carefully, then cut off the drumsticks and
the wings, and then with a sharp knife cut down either side of the
centre line, and remove the two breasts.  The wings are reserved for
other dishes, and the bones are set aside to make more stock later.

Bring the stock to a boil and add everything except the chicken, and
simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.

Add the chicken breasts and legs, bring the mixture back to the boil,
then remove from the heat, and allow to stand, covered, for 30 minutes.

Serving & Storage:

Remove the chicken and place it on a serving platter.  Put the soup in
a tureen and serve with a selection of dipping sauces, (and with white
rice if more sustenance is required).  Garnish the soup with coriander
leaves.

-- 

Colonel Ian F. Khuntilanont-Philpott
<[email-masked]>
Systems Engineering, Vongchavalitkul University,
Korat 30000, Thailand

===
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked]. 
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.