Subject: Tapenade
From: Alexander Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:49:54 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

TAPENADE

Tapenade is a thick paste made from black olives, capers  ("tapene" in Provencal
dialect), garlic, anchovies, extra-virgin olive oil. It is a French speciality 
from the Provence. It is usually served on toast or with crudites (raw seasonal 
vegetables) as an appetizer. Tapenade has a strong Mediterranean flavor. It can 
also be used as a basting paste for fowl or beef, or as a stuffing for turkey. 
Part of the flavor comes from  using good "strong" black olives, and the 
uniqueness comes from the capers.  Spread tapenade on warm toasted slices of 
French or Italian bread, with or without fresh goat cheese. In appetizer with 
dry white wine or "pastis", you close your eyes... you almost can hear the song 
of the cicadas.

                 Tapenade (Avi Etgar's version)

300 gr. pitted black olives
150 gr. capers (drained)
10-15   flat anchovy filets
3 garlic cloves
lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil
black pepper, rosemary, thyme, 2 leaves laurel
1 large slice of white bread (crust removed)

Puree all ingredients (except oil) in a food processor (metal blade), a blender 
may be used. When texture is smooth, add olive oil slowly like you would when 
preparing mayonnaise. Cover and chill for at least 24 hours. Let return to room 
temperature before serving. The tapenade can be refrigerated for at least 10 
days.

Alexander Weis
[email-masked]

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.