Subject: Tagine of Chicken with Olives and Preserved Lemon
From: "Strawberry Girl" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jul 1999 09:01:10 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>From Street Cafe Morocco by Anissa Helou

TAGINE OF CHICKEN WITH OLIVES AND PRESERVED LEMON
Tajen Djaj Mchermel

Serves 4-6

1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp each ground cumin and paprika
pinch of saffron filaments, crushed
sea salt and finely ground black pepper
1 free-range chicken (about 3 1/4 pounds)
2 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley and cilantro, most of bottom stems discarded, 
then minced (about 3/4 cup each)
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste
1 large preserved lemon, peel only, cut lengthwise into strips
1 cup green and/or purple olives

 Put the garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, saffron, a little salt, and 1/4 tsp 
pepper in  large Dutch oven. Mix together. Add the chicken and rub it well 
inside and out with the spice mixture. Add the onions and herbs. Half cover with
water (about 3-1/2 cups) and drop in the cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over 
medium-high heat, then add the oil and butter. Cover and let boil for 45 minutes
or until the chicken is cooked. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm. 
Discard the cinnamon stick. Boil the broth uncovered for a further 10 minutes, 
stirring regularly, until concentrated. Add the lemon juice, preserved lemon 
peel, and olives and simmer for a few more minutes. About 5 minutes before the 
sauce is ready, cut up the chicken neatly into 8 pieces (remove the skin if you 
like), then return to the pan, turning the pieces carefully in the sauce. Taste 
and adjust the seasoning if necessary. transfer to a serving dish and serve very
hot.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.