Subject: Collection (3) Tabbouleh
From: Ian & Carol Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jul 1999 08:34:15 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Algerian Tabbouleh
Iraqi Tabbouleh
Lebanese Tabbouleh

The recipe for tabbouleh, a salad native to the Middle east, varied from
country to country.  Although it is usually associated with bulghur
wheat, as can be seen from the Algerian recipe, this is not always the
case.  However, the idea of tabbouleh without copious quantities of
parsley and mint is unthinkable.  Here are three typical recipes that
you can use as a basis for your own experimentation.

Ian Rice
Stockport
England

Algerian Tabbouleh

500g (1 lb) couscous
2 large cucumbers, peeled and diced small
5-6 tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and diced
5 lemons
olive oil
plenty of chopped parsley, chives and chervil
50g (2 oz) raisins
red, green, purple or yellow peppers, de-seeded and cut in strips
plenty of fresh mint
2 medium onions or a bunch of spring onions, chopped
a crisp lettuce
salt, pepper and chilli powder

Mix the first three ingredients with the juice of two lemons.  Leave for 4 hours
for the couscous to absorb some of the juices. Make a dressing with the juice of
2 more lemons, olive oil to taste and parsley, chives and chervil. Add 
seasoning, raisins, pepper strips and mix into the couscous  thoroughly.  Chop 
in plenty of mint and leave overnight.  The next day, drain off any extra juice.
Taste and add the juice of the  fifth lemon and extra herbs and seasoning if 
needed.  Just before serving, put in the onion and turn the salad into a bowl or
pile it high on a dish. Surround and scatter with the lettuce, cut into strips 
with scissors.

Note: halved, stoned olives can be added.
Source: "Dishes From The Mediterranean" by Jane Grigson

Servings: 12

Iraqi Tabbouleh

1 cup bulgur wheat
1 medium onion - finely chopped
6 scallions - white bulbs and green tops - finely chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 medium tomatoes - seeded and chopped
lettuce or fresh grape leaves for serving
marinated artichoke hearts, olives, hard-cooked eggs, or nasturtium
leaves or
flowers, for garnish
toasted pine nuts, for garnish

Place the bulgur in a medium-sized bowl. Cover with cold water, and let stand 
until softened, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Line a strainer with a double layer  of 
cheesecloth, and pour in the bulgur. Twist the cloth around the bulgur and 
squeeze until all moisture has been extracted. Transfer the bulgur to a large 
bawl. Mix in the onions and scallions with your hands. Stir in the  parsley, 
mint, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and toss in the 
tomatoes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. To serve, mound the 
mixture in a shallow bowl or on a platter. Surround it with lettuce or grape 
leaves. Add any of the garnishes, and sprinkle the pine  nuts over the salad. 

Source: Bert Greene, "The Grains Cookbook"
Servings: 4

Lebanese Tabbouleh

250g (8oz) bulghur wheat
75g (3 oz) chopped shallot, onion or spring onion
the leaves of a large bunch of parsley, chopped
a small bunch of mint, chopped
6 Tbsp olive oil
4-6 Tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
Cos, Webb's Wonder or Iceberg lettuce

To Garnish:
a few black olives
strips or diamonds of red pepper

Soak the bulghur for an hour, then drain off surplus water and squeeze out the 
rest.  Spread it over a cloth to dry.  Mix the bulghur and shallot or onion with
your hands, squeezing it together so that the juices permeate the grains.  Add 
the herbs, then the dressing ingredients.  Leave for 20 minutes then stir up, 
taste and adjust the seasoning.  Add more parsley, if you like, and mint, or 
lemon.  Drain off any surplus liquid.  Divide the Tabbouleh into individual 
servings on plates lined with lettuce leaves, or pile it on a large 
lettuce-ringed dish.  Stone and halve the olives, and decorate very simply with 
olives and a few pieces of red pepper.

Source:  "Dishes From The Mediterranean" by Jane Grigson (who added,
"Although the main ingredient of this salad is bulghur, it could be
parsley from the predominant green colour. With the sharpness of lemon, this 
salad tastes like one of the world's healthiest and happiest dishes. Seasoning 
quantities   are suggestions only: alter them to suit your own taste. My own 
feeling is that you should use the greenest olive oil you can find."

Servings: 6

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.