Subject: Swiss Steak
From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Apr 1999 08:55:19 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

*  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Swiss Steak *

Recipe By     : Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
Serving Size  : 4    Preparation Time :0:25
Categories    : Beef                             Swiss Steaks

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      pound         boneless beef round steak -- cut 3/4 inch thick
   2      tablespoons   all-purpose flour
     1/4  teaspoon      salt
     1/4  teaspoon      pepper
   1      tablespoon    cooking oil
   1      16 oz. can    tomatoes -- undrained
                         -- cut up
   1      small         onion -- sliced
                         -- separated into rings
     1/2  cup           sliced celery   {1 stalk}
     1/2  cup           sliced carrot   {1 medium}
     1/2  teaspoon      dried thyme -- crushed
   2      cups          hot cooked rice or noodles

Trim fat from meat. Cut into 4 serving-size pieces. Combine the flour,  salt, 
and pepper. With the notched side of a meat mallet, pound flour mixture  into 
meat. In a large skillet, brown meat on both sides in hot oil. Drain off fat.  
Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, and thyme. Bring to boiling.  
Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or till meat is tender. Skim  
off fat. Serve with rice or noodles.

OVEN DIRECTIONS: Prepare and brown meat in skillet as above. Transfer meat to  a
2-quart square baking dish. In the same skillet, combine undrained  tomatoes, 
onion, celery, carrot, and thyme. Bring to boiling, scraping up any  browned 
bits. Pour over meat. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven about 1  hour or till 
tender. Serve as above. 

CROCKERY-COOKER DIRECTIONS: Trim fat from meat. Cut into 4 serving-size  pieces.
Omit flouring and pounding meat. Brown meat in hot oil. In a 3 1/2 or  4-quart 
crockery cooker, place onion, celery, and carrot. Sprinkle with  thyme, 2 
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, salt, and pepper. Pour undrained  tomatoes 
over vegetables. Add meat. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 10 to  12 hours. 
Serve as above.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.