Subject: Sushemi
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Feb 2000 13:42:06 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]
from USA

Sushemi

There are many different types of sushi, the most well known in the
western world would probably be Nori-maki or Makizushi. Makizushi combines
vinegared rice (Sumeshi) with different fillings like cucumber strips,
thinly sliced raw tuna or smoked salmon, pickled daikon or ginger rolled
up in a sheet of nori (dried Laver seaweed) using a Makisu (a sushi mat
made from bamboo slivers).

Sumeshi - Vinegared Rice
350 grams / 12 oz cups of white short grain rice 
450 ml / 15= fl oz of cold water 
50 ml / 2 fl oz of rice vinegar 
1= tablespoons of white sugar 
1 teaspoon of salt

Wash the rice by placing it in a large bowl and covering with cold water.
Swirl the rice around in the water until the water looks cloudy or milky.
Drain immediately and repeat the process until the water is mostly clear.
Transfer the rice to a large saucepan and cover with 450 ml / 15= fl oz of
cold water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until
the rice has soaked up all the water. Try not to check the rice too often
by lifting the lid and never stir the rice. When all the water has been
absorbed remove the saucepan from the heat and leave covered for a further
10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile measure the vinegar, sugar and salt into a
small bowl and stir until the sugar and salt are nearly dissolved. Pour
the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold in using a wooden spatula or
Japanese rice paddle. Set aside to cool.

Suggested Fillings:
cucumber strips 
raw tuna or other fresh fish 
sliced smoked salmon 
salmon roe 
pickled daikon 
pickled ginger 
avocado slices 
capsicum strips 
carrot strips 
celery strips 
small slices of marinated rare beef 
omelette strips 
mushroom strips 

When rolling the sushi it is wise to have a bowl of warm water handy to
wash any sticky rice off your hands. Place a sheet of nori onto a sushi
mat (makisu) or a piece of plastic wrap larger than the nori sheet. Spread
an even layer of prepared rice on top of the nori leaving at least a one
inch (3 cm) strip clear at the top edge. Place your chosen fillings in the
middle of the rice. Try to choose fillings that are colour-contrasting for
visual effect. Brush a little water on the edge of the nori to help the
edge stick. Using the mat, fold the nori over in a single motion so that
the bottom edge meets the nori at the top edge of the rice layer. Now
compress the rice and filling by pulling your fingers in on the top edge
of the mat to make a tight cylinder. Fold the clear strip of dampened nori
over to seal the cylinder. Cut into short lengths.

To serve use two small dipping bowls, one with a good quality soy sauce
(preferably Japanese Shoyu) and one with Wasabi paste (Japanese
horseradish). Wasabi paste is available in powdered or tube form. Caution:
Wasabi is very spicy!!

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ  posted each week  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.