Subject: Summer Garden Soup
From: Mandy Alford <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1996 13:12:01 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Summer garden soup
Serves 4

1 lb shelled fresh broad beans
2 or 3 bean pods
2 baby leeks, trimmed
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 [UK] pints vegetable stock or light chicken stock
6 small new potatoes, scraped and diced
1 large sprig flat leaf parsley
1 large sprig summer savoury
3 tbsp low fat fromage frais or creme fraiche
chopped chives

Finely dice the leeks and simmer in a soup pan, covered, in 2 tbsp water 
until soft. Add vegetable stock, bean pods, herb sprigs and lightly 
crushed garlic and bring to a boil.  Put the shelled beans in a steamer 
basket and steam over the broth for 6 to 8 minutes till soft.  

Remove the herbs and bean pods from the broth and return the pan to the 
heat, adding the potatoes.  Let simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the thick skins from the broad beans and discard them.  
Reserve a few skinned beans for garnish and add the rest to the soup.

Once the potatoes are soft, cool the soup slightly then pass through a 
sieve or puree in a blender.  Reheat the soup and stir in 2 tbsp fromage 
frais.  Do not allow the soup to boil.

Garnish each serving with a dollop of fromage frais, reserved beans and 
chopped chives.  

This soup can be served hot or chilled.

--
 Mandy Alford

~~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which
is now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked]; 
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several
days for your submission to appear.