Subject: Collection (3) Sukiyaki
From: "Fred Towner" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Feb 1999 06:28:05 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki
Beef Sukiyaki

>From: "april" <[email-masked]>
>I was wondering if any kind soul out there might have a
>tried and true sukiyaki recipe that they might share with me?  Any help
>would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Sukiyaki
 Categories: Japanese, Main dish, Beef
      Yield: 4 servings

  1 1/2 lb Fillet of beef; cut in very
           ;thin strips, across the
           ;grain
     12 oz Long rice; cooked, canned
      8 oz Bamboo shoots; cut in thin
           ;slices
      2 md Onions; cut in eighths and
           ;then thinly sliced
      4 oz Mushrooms, canned
      2    Green onion tops; cut in 1
           ;inch long pieces
      1    Soybean cake; fresh, (3
           ;inches square), cut in 1/2
           ;inch cubes (optional)
      3 sm Beef Suet pieces
    1/2 cup  Sugar
    1/2 cup  Sherry
      1 cup  Soy sauce
      1 tsp MSG

Cook this mixture of meat and vegetables at the table in a chafing
dish or on a small burner.

Arrange beef, long rice, bamboo shoots, onions, mushrooms, onion
tops, and soybean cake attractively on a large platter, keeping each
item separate.  In the container to be used for cooking, heat suet
and saute meat until golden brown.  Stir in rice, bamboo shoots,
onions, and mushrooms.  Cook 10 minutes.  Then add sugar, sherry, soy
sauce, and MSG and mix well.  Add green onion tops and soybean cake,
if desired, just before serving.  Since sukiyaki should be served
hot, begin cooking second portion after serving first.

EGG: Serve one raw egg in each small individual bowl.  Let each
guest beat egg slightly with chopsticks.  Dip each biteful of hot
sukiyaki into egg.

RICE:  Cook 1 1/2 cups white rice.  Serve in a large bowl, letting
each guest dip rice into individual dishes.

Source: "A Sunset Book": Cooking with a Foreign Accent  circa '58

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Sukiyaki
 Categories: Japanese, Main-dish, Cruciferous
      Yield: 6 servings

    1/4 cup  Oil, peanut or salad
      1 lb Sirloin steak; diagonally
           -cut into 1/4x2" strips
      2 md Onions; diagonally sliced
      1 cup  Celery; sliced diagonally
           -into 1/2" strips
    1/2 lb Mushrooms, fresh; sliced OR
           -8 oz can, drained
    1/2    Head Chinese cabbage; cut
           -diagonally into 1/2" slices
     10 oz Bamboo shoots; drained
     12 oz Water chestnuts; drained
           -and thinly sliced
      8    Scallions; cut into narrow
           -strips
      1 tsp Monosodium glutamate
    1/2 cup  Broth, chicken; or 1 chicken
           -bouillon cube dissolved in
           -1/2 cup hot water.
    1/2 cup  Bean curd; cut in 1/2" cubes
      1    Green pepper; thinly sliced
           -into strips
      1 Tbsp Sugar, brown
      1 tsp Salt
    1/2 cup  Soy sauce
      3 cup  Spinach, fresh; torn into
           -large pieces
           Rice, brown; cooked

Pour oil into wok or skillet; heat at 375 degrees for 4 minutes.
Place meat in hot oil and stir-fry for 2 minutes; push meat up sides
of wok. Add onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes; push onion up sides of
wok. Continue same procedure for celery, mushrooms, and Chinese
cabbage, adding more oil if needed; stir-fry each ingredient for 2
minutes, push up sides of wok, and add next ingredient.

Combine bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, scallions, monosodium
glutamate, and chicken broth; add to wok, stir once, cook for 2
minutes, and push up sides of wok.  Add bean curd, green pepper,
brown sugar, salt, and soy sauce; stir once and cook for 30 seconds.
Do not push up sides of wok. Sprinkle spinach over all ingredients in
wok, cover, and simmer for 2 minutes.  Reduce heat to warm for
serving. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.

NOTE: Precise timing on stir-frying should be followed so vegetables
will be cooked al dente (firm, but slightly undercooked).  They will
be crisp in texture and bright and translucent in color.  Spinach or
other greens will merely be somewhat wilted after stir-frying.

SOURCE: Southern Living Magazine, June 1973.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Beef Sukiyaki
 Categories: Japanese, Beef, Jw
      Yield: 4 servings

      4 oz Beef suet;or steak trimmings
      2 lb Beef tenderloin; sliced
           -very thin
           Dry mustard; for dip sauce
     12    Scallions; cut in 2" lengths
    1/2 lb Chinese cabbage;in 2" chunks
    1/2 lb Spinach;chopped in 1" lengths
      2 cup  Shirataki
     12 lg Mushrooms
     12    1" cubes of tofu
      1 can Bamboo shoots
      4    Bowls of hot rice
      2    Eggs; beaten with a little
           -water
           Sauce:
    1/2 cup  Shoyu
    1/4 cup  Sake
    1/3 cup  Sugar

Definitions: Chinese cabbage is also known as Napa cabbage. Shirataki
are translucent threads of gelatinous starch similar to Chinese glass
noodles and available canned. Thin egg noodles cooked and cooled may
be substituted. Shoyu is Japanese soy sauce. Sake is Japanese rice
wine. Sherry or whiskey can be substituted.

Background: To most Americans Sukiyaki is the tastiest of Japanese
dishes; it has familiar ingredients and the sauced beef appeals to
hearty appetites. This version of Sukiyaki may be slightly
westernized; it was used by a chef at the Japanese embassy in
Washington. In Japan, it is prepared in a heavy iron skillet over a
hibachi [charcoal brazier]- an electric skillet works fine. Diners,
using chopsticks, transfer the morsels of food directly from the
skillet while the food is cooking to their individual rice bowls.
They can select ingredients cooked to the degree they prefer.

Method: Cook the rice and arrange all the main ingredients on a large
platter and bring to the table where the skillet is ready. To prepare
the mustard dipping sauce make a thin paste of mustard and water [not
vinegar]. Coleman's hot English mustard can be substituted but it
does have a vinegar base. Set out in 4 small containers. To prepare
the egg dipping sauce, beat two eggs in a little water and set out in
4 small cups. To make the soy dipping and cooking sauce, combine the
shoyu, sake and sugar; stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a
small pitcher and set aside having 4 small bowls ready to fill as the
meal progresses.

The first step both primes the skillet and takes the edge off the
appetites of the waiting guests. Cut the suet into small pieces and
fry in the skillet to make melted beef fat for frying in. If you use
the fat trimmed from T-bone or sirloin steaks, you will have some
cracklings left which make a small tasty first course.

The next course is beef slices dipped in the soy sauce and fried in
the beef fat [this is tastiest when the beef is rare- just a few
seconds per side]. When cooked dip in the mustard sauce and eat.
Optionally dip the cooked beef in the egg wash; this will add an
extra sauce and cool the beef slightly to maximize taste and the egg
film will cook enough from the heat of the meat to be safe. Each
guest prepares and cooks his own beef. About a third of the beef is
consumed in this fashion.

For the next course thin some of the prepared soy sauce with a little
water [about 3 parts sauce to 1 part water] and cover the bottom of
the skillet. Add the rest of the beef and cook lightly just until the
beef turns color. Place all the other ingredients on the beef and
cook briefly. With tongs or chop sticks transfer the beef to top the
vegetables. Do not stir. Continue cooking over medium heat until the
vegetables are just barely tender. Start eating with bowls of rice.
Keep the skillet on low heat until the meal is completed. This can be
done all at once or in small batches so the ingredients don't
overcook. Again the guest selects his own morsels when they are
cooked to his taste and transfers the food to his own rice bowl.

The last course is a small bowl of broth served as a thin soup in
small cups or spooned over the last of the rice to flavor it. [Shrimp
and other vegetables can be added; mild Spanish onion is especially
nice; celery and green bell pepper strips are good too- JW]

>From the Japanese Recipes Booklet for Members and Friends of the Japan
Society. Recipe by Tatsuji Tada, one time chef at the Japanese
embassy in Washington.

MMMMM

>From the recipe collection of Fred Towner

.... Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Requests/Recipes go to [email-masked];
Questions/Comments to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.