Subject: Squash Risotto
From: [email-masked] (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: 20 Feb 1999 05:11:01 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Squash and Golden Onion Risotto

3 onions, halved then sliced
2-3 pound squash (I used a turban), peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped (or more)
1 teaspoon sage
5 cups or so vegetable broth or water
1 1/2 cups short grain rice
1/4 cup red wine or Marsala
3/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet.  Add onions and
garlic and and saute for 5 minutes.  Add squash and sage.  Cook on
medium high heat, stirring often, until vegetables are golden brown
with darker spots and squash is becoming tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat broth.

Add rice to squash mixture and stir for 2 minutes.  Add red and
white wines, and cook until wine reduces.  Add balsamic vinegar.
Lower heat.

Start adding broth, about a cup at a time, stirring after each
addition until all the broth is absorbed.  Keep doing this until
the risotto is creamy and al dente, it should take about half an
hour.

Correct seasonings (add salt if you like - I don't use it).  Spoon
into bowls, top with freshly grated parmesan and julienned fresh
basil.