Subject: Spinach in Tomato Sauce with Shallots and Carrots
From: Eric Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Feb 1997 10:54:26 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I made this last night for friends and we all agreed it was quite good. 
Some quick notes: prepare the sauce in a *large* pot -- because when
you add the 1 pound of leafy spinach, you'll need the room for the
unwilted spinach! I almost got in trouble last night with a medium
sized pot.

Finally, I am a garlic fiend. I added three large cloves run through the
garlic press. 

Enjoy!

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

            Spinach in Tomato Sauce with Shallots and Carrots

Recipe By     : Pasta e Verdura
Serving Size  : 4    Preparation Time :0:30
Categories    : Italian                          Pasta
                Sauces                           Vegetarian

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      pound         fresh spinach
     1/4  cup           olive oil
   3      medium        shallots -- minced
   2      small         carrots -- peeled and diced
   2      cups          canned whole tomatoes -- drained, juice resrv
   1      teaspoon      salt
     1/4  cup           fresh basil -- minced
   1      pound         pasta
                        parmesan cheese -- freshly grated

Bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil in a large pot for cooking the =
pasta

Stem the spinach and wash the leaves in a large bowl of cold water, =
changing the water several times until no sand appears in the bottom =
of the bowl. Shake the excess water from the spinach and roughly dry =
the leaves with paper towels. (Leaves can be damp, but not =
waterlogged.) Set the spinach aside.

Heat the oil in a deep pot or Dutch oven with a cover. Add the =
shallots and carrots and saut=E9 over medium heat until the =
vegetables soften but do not brown, about 8 minutes.

While the shallots and carrots are cooking, coarsely chop the =
tomatoes. Add chopped tomatoes to the pot, along with 1/2 cup of =
their packing juice, the salt, and basil. Use the back of a spoon to =
break apart the tomatoes. Simmer gently, continuing to crush the =
tomatoes as necessary, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.

Add the spinach to the pot, tossing several times to coat leaves with =
tomato sauce. Cover and continue cooking, removing the lid once to =
stir, until the spinach has wilted, about 5 minutes. Taste for salt =
and adjust seasonings if necessary.

While preparing the sauce, cook and drain the pasta. Toss the hot =
pasta with the spinach sauce. Mix well and transfer portions to warm =
pasta bowls. Serve immediately with grated cheese passed separately.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 585 Calories; 16g Fat (24% =
calories from fat); 18g Protein; 94g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; =
619mg Sodium
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. 
Recipes/requests go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to
[email-masked].  Please allow several days for your submission to
appear.