Subject: Diabetic, Low-Fat Spicy Thai Eggplant Salsa
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 99 00:16:57 CDT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Diabetic, Low-Fat Spicy Thai Eggplant Salsa

olive oil spray
1 pound  Japanese (slender) eggplant, 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup  rice vinegar
2 teaspoons  toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon  minced ginger
1 teaspoon  minced garlic
1 tablespoon  soy sauce
1 tablespoon  sugar
2 small  red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 medium  red onion, diced
1 jalapeno chile pepper (or to taste), seeded and minced
1/3  cup  mint and/or cilantro leaves, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 450F. Lighly mist a baking sheet with cooking
oil.  Spread the eggplant cubes evenly on the baking sheet. Roast
until the eggplant is soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from
the oven. Let cool.  Combine the vinegar, sesame oil, ginger,
garlic, sauce, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir until the sugar is
dissolved. Add the roasted eggplant, bell peppers, onion, jalapheno,
and herb. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand
at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.  Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 66 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (22% calories from
fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium,
Fiber 2.1 g.  Exchanges: 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.