Subject: Spicy Mushrooms with Garlic and Black Bean Sauce
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 1999 09:18:04 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]
from New York
Spicy Mushrooms with Garlic and Black Bean Sauce

I did this today and I would like to share this recipe. I served it over a
simple broiled steak, with a cucumber, cheddar and green salad with Russian
dressing.

The mushrooms should be completely dry before cooking, or they will produce
too much liquid, diluting the flavor of the finished dish. Try to use
uniformly sized ones. Choose those with pure white caps that are tightly
closed. If the gills are open and dark, the mushrooms will be too soft after
cooking.

SPICY MUSHROOMS WITH GARLIC AND BLACK BEAN SAUCE.
serves 8 as a side dish or topper
source: Susanna Foo Chinese Cuisine

2 pounds small white button mushrooms, rinsed and dried.
1 tablespoon fermented black beans (I doubled this)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vodka (I doubled this)
1/2 cup corn or olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 scallions, white part only, diced (save green tops for another recipe)
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, minced or 1 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1  teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
freshly ground pepper

Trim off and discard the bottom parts of the mushroom stems. (I chopped
them to use in stew.) (If using larger mushrooms, cut into 1/4 inch slices.)
Soak the black beans in the water for 2 minutes. Strain, squeeze dry and
discard the water. Place the beans in a small bowl and add the vodka, set
aside. Heat the oil in a small saucepan. add the garlic and the black bean
mixture and cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes, until the garlic is golden. 
Reduce
the heat to low, stir in the mushrooms and cook until they are well coated
with the oil, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions, jalapeno peppers or pepper
flakes, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and remove from the heat.
serve hot, at room temperature or cold.
Enjoy.

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.