Subject: Collection (4) Spaghetti Squash
From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Nov 1999 11:45:04 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

SPAGHETTI SQUASH SALAD
SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE
SPAGHETTI SQUASH
SPAGHETTI SQUASH LASAGNA

SPAGHETTI SQUASH SALAD

1 average size spaghetti squash
1 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
1 red or green pepper, finely chopped
1 (8 oz.) bottle creamy garlic dressing or Italian
lettuce leaves
cherry tomatoes

Halve squash. Remove and discard seeds. Quarter to fit in a large pot. Add
water to 1 inch. Bring to boil, cover, reduce to simmer and cook 20 to 30
minutes, or until tender.  Remove and cool. Scrape squash pulp from rind
to make 4 cups.  Drain on paper towels to remove excess moisture. In large
bowl, combine squash with mushrooms, onions, peppers and dressing. Mix and
refrigerate. Serves 8. 

SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE

1 (8-inch) spaghetti squash
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium fresh tomatoes
1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper
1 cup cottage or Ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp. basil
dash of thyme
1 cup fine bread crumbs
butter for saute
Parmesan cheese

Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Bake it face down on
a buttered tray for 30 to 40 minutes or until easily pierced by a fork.
Cool until ready to be handled. Scoop out the insides gently with a fork
which will form into spaghetti strands. While the squash bakes, saute the
onions and garlic with salt, pepper, mushrooms and herbs. When onions are
soft, add freshly chopped tomatoes; cook until most of liquid is
evaporated. Combine the ingredients. Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole.
Top with lots of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered about 40 minutes
in a 375 degrees oven. 

SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. Italian sweet sausage
1 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. basil
1 spaghetti squash (medium
size)
1 large onion
1 lb. ground beef
10 tomatoes, cut up
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

In a large pan boil whole squash in water until tender.  Cut squash in
half, scrape out seeds and gently scrape the sides of the squash and long
spaghetti like strands will come from the squash. Set aside. Saute onion
and garlic in butter until almost brown; add beef and sausage until brown;
set aside. To a large saucepan add tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano
and basil. Bring to boil and add meat mix. Allow to simmer for 30 to 40
minutes. While sauce is simmering, spread squash on a platter. Just before
sauce is ready to serve, add Parmesan cheese. Stir while adding because
cheese can burn on bottom of pan easily. Pour sauce over spaghetti squash
and serve with more grated cheese.  My family just loves this and they
don't even like squash. 

SPAGHETTI SQUASH LASAGNA

1 large spaghetti squash
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. dried whole basil
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 (8 oz.) can tomatoes,
undrained
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 (12 oz.) carton cream-style
cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. sliced Mozzarella
cheese

Wash squash; pierce squash several times with a large fork. Place squash
on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with 1/2 or 1-inch sides. Bake at 350
degrees for 1 hour or until squash is tender. Allow squash to cool; cut
squash in half and remove seeds. Using a fork, remove spaghetti-like
strands; measure 4 cups of strands and set aside.  Cook ground beef in a
large skillet until browned, stirring to crumble; drain off pan drippings.
Add basil, garlic powder, tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, 30
minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Combine cottage cheese,
egg, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Layer half each of the squash,
cottage cheese mixture, Mozzarella cheese and meat sauce in a lightly
greased 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Repeat layers. Bake at 375 degrees
for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 to 8
servings. 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.