Subject: Smoked Ostrich Capriccio with Truffle Oil
From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 May 2000 16:50:12 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Smoked Ostrich Carpaccio with Truffle Oil

Ostrich is farmed throughout Scotland and England. Its an excellent meat
and like kangaroo is low in cholesterol and fat. Unfortunately the
ostrich industry is presently suffering, as the meat has not had the
popularity that farmers and investors were hoping for. The meat like
kangaroo is becoming harder and harder to purchase as more supermarkets
and butchers fail to supply it to the public. The meat has a flavour
similar to venison and is tender. I purchased my smoked ostrich from the
recent farmers market. If you are unable to find smoked ostrich, smoked
venison makes a great substitute.

Carpaccio:

300-350g smoked ostrich or venison slices
2 tsp truffle oil
20g pine nuts toasted
2 Tbsp. Parmesan shavings
Freshly ground black pepper

Lay the ostrich slices in a single layer around each plate. Scatter the pine 
nuts and Parmesan shavings over the carpaccio and drizzle over the truffle oil. 
Serve the capriccio with a generous grind of black pepper
4 Portions

>From http://www.bareingredients.com
Free recipes, cooking tips and articles, food news, competitions and
more

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.