Subject: Shepherd's Pie
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 01:59:06 EST
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Shepherd's Pie
Serves: 6 

2 lb. Lean Ground Beef 
1 cup Onion; Diced 
1 cup Carrots; Diced 
1 cup Celery; Diced 
1 1/2 cup Corn; Fresh or Frozen 

Salt and Pepper to Taste 
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg 
8 oz. Beef Broth 
2 Tablespoons Butter; Mixed with Flour 
2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour 
2 lb. Potatoes; Peeled, Cooked and Mashed 
Unsalted Butter 

Brown ground beef in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Drain excess fat 
and liquid and return to heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, 
pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat and cook for 10 to 12-minutes or until 
vegetables are wilted. Add beef broth and increase heat slightly to bring to 
a boil. Stir in enough of the butter and flour roux to make a thick gravy to 
bind the filling. Pour the meat filling into a large shallow baking dish 
about 1 1/2-inches thick and cool.
Cover the meat in the baking dish with a thin layer of corn and then top with 
the hot mashed potatoes. Smooth mashed potato layer out evenly and brush or 
dot the surface with butter. Bake at 325-F degrees for 35 to 40-minutes until 
potatoes begin to brown on the top.

Serve warm. Need a little luck of the Irish when it comes to boiled potatoes? 
Put first things first and utilize only the freshest potatoes to peel. After 
peeling, make sure all potatoes are cut into a common size for consistent 
cooking throughout. Cover with lightly salted water and keep a tight lid 
handy. Bring the potatoes to the boil in a covered pot and then start your 
timer for 20-minutes. Crack the lid to permit the steam a release and reduce 
heat from high to medium-high. Check with a fork to make sure they're cooked. 
No resistance to the fork means the potatoes are ready to be drained and 
mashed.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.