Subject: Serbian Moussaka
From: [email-masked] (J.R. Steuernagle)
Date: 3 Jul 1996 04:44:37 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

SERBIAN MOUSSAKA

This recipe belongs to Billie Willard of Westport, Maine, and was one of 
the featured attractions at Oksana's, the Ukrainian restaurant Billie ran 
many years ago in Richmond, Maine.  

approx. 1.5 pounds eggplant
salt
flour
2 eggs
1 Tbsp milk
Cooking oil
1 cup onions, chopped medium fine
1 lb. ground beef
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly-ground pepper to taste
1 medium large green pepper, chopped
2 to 3 peeled & chopped fresh tomatoes
2 Tbsp minced parsley
1 egg
1.5 cups milk
3 eggs

Peel eggplant, and slice lengthwise in approx. 1/4" slices.  Beat 2 eggs 
with a tablespoon of milk, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet (two 
skillets will speed up the frying): dip eggplant in flour, shake off 
excess and dip in egg mixture and fry both sides at medium low heat until 
golden brown.  Drain between paper towels.  This step can be done ahead 
of time.  Keep leftover egg mixture to be used later.

Heat 2/3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet, add onion, and saute till soft 
and golden at medium-low heat, stirring often.  Add ground beef, garlic, 
salt & pepper to taste, and cook until meat is brown, stirring to break 
up the particles.  Add the green pepper, tomatoes, and parsley & let 
simmer for five to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and break one egg and 
mix in well.

Oil a three-quart casserole dish and line the bottom with a third of the 
eggplant slices, then spread half of the meat mixture.  Layer another 
third of eggplant slices, cover with remaining meat mixture and top with 
the rest of the eggplant slices.

Beat 3 eggs with any leftover egg-milk mixture, add the 1.5 cups of milk, 
stir well, then pour over the eggplant.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 
minutes, or until the moussaka is puffy and golden brown.  May be eaten 
warm or cold; serves 6-8 people.

My wife, Laurel, refers to this dish as "Bazooka".  It tastes so good it 
leads to a feeding frenzy, but the eggplant is, typically, more filling 
20 minutes after the meal than it was when it went down, so the effect of 
overindulgence is about like being hit by a bazooka.  Enjoy.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.