Subject: Senate Navy Bean Soup
From: [email-masked] (JANIC412)
Date: 28 Jan 2000 18:57:36 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Senate Navy Bean Soup

1 1/2 pounds dried navy beans
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups diced onions
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 cup diced potatoes
1 pound smoked ham hock
1 bouquet garni (parsley sprigs, bay leaf, thyme sprigs and a large twist of
lemon peel).
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Soak and wash beans and place in a large pot. Add water to cover by 4-5 inches.
Soak overnight. Drain beans and run them under hot water, then return to pot
and cover with 3 quarts of water. In a skillet, saute vegetables in olive oil
until tender. Add to the pot with the ham hock and bouquet garni and cook soup
at a simmer, covered for about 3 hours. Remove ham hock and bouquet garni. With
a food mill or processor, puree about 6 cups of the beans with a little liquid,
add back to the soup in the pot. Cut meat from ham hock into small pieces and
return to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 8-10 servings.
 Jan

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.