Subject: COLLECTION (2) Scallion Pancakes
From: [email-masked] (Sam Waring)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 22:16:40 +0100
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

In article <[email-masked]>, Bonnie Koo said this about that:

> I want a recipe for those chinese scallion pancakes... mmmm

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: SCALLION PANCAKES
 Categories: Chinese
      Yield: 6 servings

      2 c  Flour
      1 ts Salt
      1 c  ;Water, boiling
           Peanut oil
    1/2 c  Scallions; chopped

  Cooking Time: 6 minutes

  Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Gradually pour in
  boiling water, stirring with a wooden spoon to mix.  When cool enough
  to handle, knead the dough with your hands for about ten minutes
  until the dough is elastic. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with
  a damp dish towel for 30 minutes.

  Roll the dough out to a rectangular shape approximately 1/4"x10"x15".
  Brush the top lightly with peanut oil.  Sprinkle scallions over the
  entire surface of the dough.  Starting from one end, roll up the
  dough as you would a carpet.  Cut the roll into six thick slices.
  Flatten each slice slightly with your hand.  Roll out each piece,
  turning it to keep it circular, until it is one-quarter inch thick
  and about six inches in diameter. Keep the finished pancakes covered
  with a damp towel while you are working.

  Heat skillet over high heat and pour in oil one-quarter inch deep.
  When the oil is hot, turn the heat to medium low.  Cook the pancakes
  one at a time, about 30 seconds on each side, until they are golden
  in color.  Cut into wedges and serve warm.

  Pancakes may be reheated in the oven before serving.

                               From: The Chinese Menu Cookbook
                               Shared By: Pat Stockett

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: SCALLION PANCAKES
 Categories: Breads, Chinese, Pancakes
      Yield: 3 servings

    2/3 c  Flour
    1/3 c  ;Water
           Butter
           Salt
    1/2 c  Scallion; chopped, divided
           -into 3 portions
      3 T  Oil

  In a medium sized bowl, combine 2/3 c flour and 1/3 c water to make a
  manageable dough.  It's a good idea to start with less water and
  increase a tablespoon at a time since I don't know the exact measure-
  ments. The dough may be a little tough but that's okay.  Divide the
  dough into 3 pieces and keep the ones you're not using under a damp
  cloth.

  Roll out the dough to a rectangular shape on a lightly floured
  surface. NOTE:  the thinner the dough is the more layers you'll get.
  Spread enough margarine to cover surface.  Sprinkle enough salt to
  cover surface (this depends on personal taste).  Sprinkle one portion
  of scallions on dough. Roll up dough TIGHTLY by the short length,
  tucking in the scallions along the way and seal the edge.  Coil the
  dough into a snail shell and seal end. Roll out as flat as possible.

  Heat up frying pan with a tablespoon of oil.  Fry both sides of
  pancake 'til golden.  The whole thing won't be brown, only the spots
  where it's actually touching the pan.  Slice and serve immediately
  when done.  If it's not salty enough, it can be served with some soy
  sauce.  Makes 3 individual pancakes.

                               [email-masked] (Nina S. Liang)
                               from the rec.food.recipes archives

MMMMM
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which is
now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked];
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.