Subject: Sauerkraut and Bean Soup
From: [email-masked] (JANIC412)
Date: 9 Jan 2000 07:07:44 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Sauerkraut and Bean Soup

1 cup dried pink beans, rinsed
2 Tbsp bacon grease or oil
1/2 pound boneless pork butt, diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 quarts beef stock or canned broth
2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
3 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place beans in a 6-quart soup pot, add 3 cups of cold water, cover and bring to
a boil. Turn off heat and let sit for 1 hour. In a frying pan add the grease or
oil and brown the pork. Add the garlic and onion; saute until the onion is
tender. Drain the beans and return to the pot. Add the pork mixture, beef stock
and paprika to the beans. Cover and simmer for 1 hour until the beans are
tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove about 3/4 of the beans to a food
processor or blender. Add about 1 1/2 cups of the stock left in the pot to the
beans and puree. Return to the pot, adding the sauerkraut. Cover and simmer for
about 1 hour until the sauerkraut is very tender. Add salt and pepper, being
generous with the pepper.  Serves 6-8  

I know you asked for sauerkraut soup, but this seemed interesting.  Jan
--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.