Subject: Sangria
From: "Don Hamilton" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 1999 11:07:33 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Michael <michael [email-masked]> asked for a sangria recipe.Sangria

I have made this Sangria several times and it was well received.  It comes from 
"Playboy's
International Gourmet" by Thomas Mario, in the chapter Paella y sangria, 1971.  
The strip of orange always causes favourable comment.

SANGRIA
(Serves 6 to 8)

1    Whole orange
1    fifth (750 ml) light, dry, red wine
1    ripe Elberta peach, peeled and sliced.
6    slices lemon
1.5 oz (45 ml)   cognac (I use brandy)
1 oz (30 ml)     triple sec
1 oz  maraschino liqueur (I leave it out.  Only bottle I ever had tasted like 
Wildroot Cream
     Oil)
1 Tbsp sugar, or more to taste.
6 oz  iced club soda

Cut entire peel of orange in a single strip , beginning at the stem end and 
continuing until spiral reaches bottom of fruit.  White part should be cut along
with outer peel, so that orange fruit is exposed.  Leave peel attached to orange
bottom, so that fruit may be suspended in pitcher. Pour wine into glass pitcher.
Add peach, lemon, cognac, triple sec, maraschino and sugar. Stir to dissolve 
sugar.  Carefully place orange in pitcher fastening top end of peel over rim. 
Let mixture marinate at room temperature at least one hour.  Add soda and a tray
of ice cubes to pitcher.  Stir.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.