Subject: San Fernando Beans
From: William Messer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:44:02 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I got this recipe from David Wade's (a renowned chef) radio show last
Spring.  He got the recipe from some place in San Fernando.  They are
delicious and the flavor can be changed depending on the type of apples,
spiciness of the sausage and amounts of chili powder.  Only problem I
have is remembering to soak them overnight.

San Fernando Beans - from David Wade

1 lb dried kidney or red beans
1/2 lb bulk pork sausage (I use extra mild, but to your taste)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cup sliced apples (delicious is good, but could use tarter apples too)
4 medium onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cup tomato juice
2 tsp Worcestershire powder (or sauce if can't find powder)
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder (I use scant 1/4)

Wash beans and soak overnight in cold water.  In the same water, bring
to hard boil.  Cover and simmer, 1 - 2 hours.  Drain beans and keep
warm.  Combine all rest of ingredients in pan and mix thoroughly (you
don't have to precook anything).  Bring to a hard boil.  Mix in drained
beans and simmer for 2 hours with a tight fitting lid.

Hope you enjoy as much as we do
Margo

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.