Subject: Genoa Salami
From: "Karl E. Moser (KE3NF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Feb 1999 03:16:25 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Cured sausages

For cured sausages, you will need...cure. Simple as that. Cure comes in
many names like prague powder, nitrates, salt peter. Sources
below. If you do not use cure, you risk food poisoning!! The idea is the
same only after you grind all the meats,fats, and herbs with the
cure, you will be hanging them up to dry and most require smoking. 

Note that some recipes call for cure #2. Please understand that this is
not just nitrates. This is more of a time released formula for
sausages that will not be cooked and will hang to cure for months until
dry throughout. Regular nitrates will not hold up this long.
Sources for cure #2 below from the Sausage Maker.

You can buy smokers or make one yourself out of an old freezer or any
other cabinet type thingie you happen to have around. It needs
to be able to vent some of the smoke and at the same time be consistent
with the temps. You need a way to be able to monitor the
temperature also. There is also a liquid smoke on the market that may
save you if you do not have the means or space to have a smoker.
Sources below. Also if you plan on making aged sausage that does not
require cooking, the pork must be free of Trichinosis. Cooking
kills this, but some sausages do not require the cooking necessary to
kill it so to solve this problem, you can either get "Certified Pork"
or make it yourself by freezing it at -20 degrees for 6-12 days. Or -10
degrees for 10-20 days. Or 5 degrees for 20-30 days. This is
only required for meat that will not be cooked to 137 degrees in the
sausage making process. 

Genoa Salami 

5 pounds lean beef from chuck 
3 pounds lean pork (certfied) cubed 
2 pounds pork fat, cubed 
5 tablespoons salt 
1 cup brandy (optional) 
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar 
2 Tbsp whole peppercorns 
1 Tbsp white pepper 
1 tsp ground coriander 
2 tsp garlic finely minced 
1 tsp cardamom 
1/2 tsp prague powder number 2 (cure) 
4 feet casings 

After grinding the meats and herbs and cure together allow to sit in the
frige 24 hours before placing into casings. (Note) If you do
not use the alcohol(brandy) you will need prague powder number 1 in
addition to number 2. Follow the directions. Allow to hang in a cool
clean place (a unheated attic or cellar, that has been cleaned a few
days prior, and where rodents or other critters cannot get to it. It
needs to cure and dry for about 9-12 weeks depending on how dry the area
is that its hanging in. 

Bon Appetit..    Karl(KE3NF)
Karls Eatery  [ICQ # 16639454]
http://24.3.49.34  or  http2//Karls_Eatery.com
Http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/machievelli/97

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.