Subject: Ropa Vieja
From: [email-masked] (Sam Waring)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 18:16:21 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

In article <[email-masked]>, Donna Hurtak said this about
that:

> I would like an authentic Cuban recipe for Ropa Vieja.  I found one in a
> cookbook ,but is has no vinegar and my husband says the dish has a
> "vinegary" taste to him.

     Never heard of ropa vieja with vinegar in it.  Perhaps it's the
capers that are doing it for him.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: ROPA VIEJA (Cuba)
 Categories: Beef, Caribbean
      Yield: 8 servings

      2 lb Pot rost, leftover
      2 ts Salt
           Pepper, black; to taste
      2    Garlic clove; minced
      3 ts Oil
      2 md Onion; chopped
      2 md Tomato; peeled, seeded &
           -chopped
      2    Bell pepper, green; seeded &
           -chopped
      1 T  Capers

  Shred meat into strips and season with salt, pepper and garlic.  In
  large, heavy skillet, heat oil and brown onions, tomatoes, and bell
  peppers for five minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
  Add meat and capers. Lower heat and continue to cook for ten minutes.
  Serve hot.

      From:  SKY JUICE AND FLYING FISH - TRADITIONAL CARIBBEAN COOKING
             by Jessica B. Harris, Simon & Schuster, New York. 1991.
             Posted by:  Karin Brewer, Fidonet Cooking Echo, 8/92

MMMMM
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which is
now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked];
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.