Subject: Roesti (Swiss-Style Potato Cake)
From: "amanda" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1997 07:51:37 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.01

     Title: Roesti (Swiss-Style Potato Cake)
Categories: Swiss, Main dish, Vegetables
  Servings:  4

  1 3/4 lb Potatoes (see below)
      3 oz Butter, lard or bacon fat
  1 1/2 T  Water or milk

  This is a favorite dish of German-speaking Switzerland.
  Besides being served as a side dish with meat or fish, it is sometimes
  eaten on its own, for lunch or even breakfast, with milky coffee.

  The potatoes should be boiled in their jackets the day before. These
  should be waxy potatoes of the potato-salad kind. The next day, peel them
  and grate them on the coarsest blade of the grater. Heat a large heavy
  frying pan, and let the fat get hot: then put in the potatoes, sprinkle
  with salt, and fry, turning them constantly. When they have soaked up the
  butter or whatever, add more. Now form a "cake" by pushing the potatoes
  from the edges of the pan into the middle and flattening down the top.
  Sprinkle with the water or milk, reduce heat, and cover with a lid or
  inverted dish. Shake the covered pan occasionally to keep the potatoes
  from burning, and leave on low heat for at least 15 minutes. The potatoes
  must stick together, but not to the bottom of the pan. When cooked, turn
  the cake out onto a plate, bottom side up, and serve. (Or alternately,
  brown the other side as well.) . Variations: (1) Saute 2 T chopped onions
  in the fat before adding the potatoes. Don't let them brown. Also note
  that in this version, the potatoes will need less fat. (2) Saute 2 - 3 1/2
  oz. diced bacon before adding potatoes. You won't need any extra salt. 
  (3) Sprinkle cooked potatoes with grated cheese before serving, and heat it
  briefly in the oven to melt it.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.