Subject: Rice Pudding
From: Mitch <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2000 14:04:21 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

WORLD'S BEST RICE PUDDING

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup medium or short grain white rice
4 cups milk
Pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat butter in a 4 quart saucepan. When
frothy add rice and cook for a minute. Slowly add milk, pinch salt,
sugar, vanilla, cranberries and bring to under a boil. Transfer to a 9
inch square baking pan and set in oven. Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours
stirring every 15 minutes. Then bake undisturbed for 30 minutes. Then
stir in cranberries, stir and bake for another half hour (for a total of
2 1/2 hours).
Recipe Courtesy of  Michelle Urvater

Per serving: 257 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (32% calories from fat);
6g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 32mg Cholesterol; 81mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1
1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

Variations 2 : 1/2 cup heavy cream , add heavy cream in the last  half
hour of baking.  
Per serving: 293 Calories (kcal); 17g Total Fat; (51% calories from
fat); 7g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 60mg Cholesterol; 89mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3
Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Variation 3 : If you want a crusty topping, take 1/2 cup dark brown
sugar mix with 2 tablespoons butter, reduce sugar to 1/4 cup. Once out
of oven, crumble  brown sugar and butter mix, over rice pudding and run
the pudding under the broiler until melted and bubbly. 
Per serving: 304 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (38% calories from
fat); 7g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 43mg Cholesterol; 125mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2
1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.