Subject: Rhode Island Red Clam Chowder
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Feb 2000 12:35:03 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Rhode Island Red Clam Chowder

3 pounds cherrystone clams, or 2 cups chopped clam meat
2 cups dry white wine
2 cups clam broth, fish stock or water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced or 1 tsp. dry
1 bunch Italian parsley, minced
2 bay leaves
4 large peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
or 1 28 oz. can tomato, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 medium new potatoes, peeled and diced
salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper

Scrub the clams and place them in a large pot with the wine. Tightly cover
the pot and steam until the shells open (about 6 to 8 minutes). If using
cherrystones, leave the clams in the shells and set aside. Strain the
cooking liquid through a cheesecloth lined strainer into a large measuring
cup. Add enough clam broth to make 6 cups. (If using pre-shucked or canned
clams, omit the steaming and use 2 cups wine and 4 cups clam broth). Heat
the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, celery, garlic, thyme, half the
parsley, and bay leaves. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until
soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook for 2
minutes. Add the wine-clam broth mixture, and bring to a boil. Add the
potatoes, reduce the heat, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the
potatoes are tender. Just before serving, stir in the cooked cherry stones
or clam meat and the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Remove and discard the bay
leaves. Garnish with the remaining parsley and serve at once.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.